Illegal shrines to be pulled down in a month and a half
NMMC ACTION High court has asked civic body to submit a report by Aug 15
Restaurants and sweet marts operating without licences continue to face action by the municipal corporation.
The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) sealed eight shops at Airoli on Friday. So far, it has sealed 68 restaurants and sweet marts in the city.
It is necessary for hotels, restaurants, sweet marts, bakeries, caterers to take NMMC permission while conducting business in Navi Mumbai. However, several establishments have not done so.
Municipal commissioner Tukaram Mundhe has issued strict orders to take action against establishments that are operating without such licences.
Under his guidance, civic licence department official Dattatrey Nagre and his staff have repeatedly appealed to the establishments to procure the licences.
Action is now being taken against those establishments that are yet to comply with the instructions.
Earlier 60 such establishments were sealed in CBD Belapur, Seawoods, Nerul, Vashi, Kopar Khairane area.
In the drive in Airoli, premises of Little China, Mahalaxmi Sweets, Hotel Sahil, Shri Krishna Bengali Sweets, Shri Sairam Mess, Food Carnival and Naznoor Caterers were sealed.
An NMMC official said, “Following strict action, several establishments have started approaching us for the licences. The action is sending out a strong message and we are confident all will comply.”
Some establishments have managed to get the seal opened and get a stay on NMMC action.
A sweet mart owner has managed to get interim relief from the court.
“There are several licences one needs to take and it happens that you don’t have one particular licence. We store perishable items and sealing had led to huge losses and so we had to move court,” he said.
The NMMC is all set to take action against illegal places of worship that have come up in the city on MIDC and CIDCO land.
The municipal corporation had earlier acted only on land that belonged to it. Since, NMMC does not have much land of its own, it had little record of the illegal shrines in the city. The high court has asked it to submit a report on it by August 15.
Municipal commissioner Tukaram Mundhe has given clear orders to his officials to take action aginst illegal constructions. This has led to demolition drives being intensified in the city. The illegal places of worship too are being targeted in the drive. Mundhe had as collector of Solapur undertaken similar drive there.
An anti-encroachment department official of NMMC said, “In the next month and a half we will go after all such structures.”
Following the high court order, the survey conducted by NMMC has revealed a figure of 24 illegal shrines. These have come up after 2009. The figure prior to this period is 36.
The NMMC has till date received 550 plots from Cidco for various purposes. Some of these religious places of worship have come up on these plots.
The NMMC will not demolish illegal shrines built before 2009. It will shift them to another location.
While NMMC officials had earlier refrained from taking any action on plots not owned by NMMC, Mundhe has now given them a free hand.
The anti-encroachment department has sought details of such illegal structures from MIDC and Cidco.
Cidco has the largest number of such structures which stand NMMC workers demolish the five-storey building at Nerul on Saturday. Seventy police personnel were deployed. at 348. Cidco had earlier issued notices to 467 structures and 119 of them submitted documentary proof of their legality.
In the MIDC belt, it is alleged that some corporators and politicians, to ensure vote bank, have erected 175 illegal places of worship.
“We believe there are a total of around 700 illegal places of worship on NMMC, CIDCO and MIDC land,” said the official.
He added that Cidco has given 130 plots to construct legal places of worship. However, since charges have to be paid for it, some vested interests usurped land and constructed places of worship there.”
He added, “We had started the drive sometime ago but had to stall it due to lack of police bandobast. We are now all geared up for action along with Cidco and MIDC.”