SC says pre-med test ordinance not proper, but refuses to stay it
The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a plea seeking a stay on the common medical entrance exam ordinance, saying it would just create more chaos, but criticised the government for allowing states to bypass it.
“What you have done is not in good taste. Prima facie, the ordinance was not proper. This is disturbing,” a bench headed by justice AR Dave told attorney general Mukul Rohatgi. It said it would be reviewing the validity of the ordinance, which “was in doubt”.
The top court had on May 9 ruled that admissions to MBBS and BDS courses at all government and private medical colleges this year would be done through the National Eligibilitycum-Entrance Test (NEET), in the process scrapping the various exams conducted by state governments and private colleges.
The Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad (ATS) on Thursday arrested a 31-year old suspect from Parbhani, who was in touch with an Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) handler in Syria. Sources said he was getting ready for an “operation” when he was picked up by the anti-terror agency’s Aurangabad unit.
ATS sources said they have arrested Naser Bin Yafai Chaus — a civil contractor from Parbhani — after it came to the fore that he was radicalised by foreign handlers of the ISIS and he was in touch with them using various chatrooms for the past one year. Sources said he had plans to go to Syria to fight for the ISIS.
After the suspect was kept on the ATS’s radar, they monitored him and found he was in touch with one Faroque from Syria on social media. He also created multiple IDs to enter various chat rooms used by the foreign handlers of ISIS. The ATS investigations so far have also pointed to possibilities of Chaus preparing for an attack based on the instructions of his foreign handlers. So far, ISIS has not managed to strike in the country and many of their modules have been busted by security agencies, including the state ATS and the National Investigating Agency (NIA).
The ATS has filed a case under sections of the Indian Penal Code and under the sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), 1967. He has been remanded in police custody till July 20 by a local court in Aurangabad.