Man falls off hos­pi­tal stair­case, dies

Hindustan Times ST (Mumbai) - HT Navi Mumbai Live - - NAVI - Megha Pol megha.pol@hin­dus­tan­times.com Pranab Jy­oti Bhuyan pranab.bhuyan@hin­dus­tan­times.com

The ground floor of the Eter­nity mall at Teen Hath Naka caught fire on Thurs­day.

No one was in­jured in the in­ci­dent.

“The elec­tric ca­ble on the ground floor caught fire, set­ting the duct ablaze. The fire broke out at a time when the mall had only a few vis­i­tors and so no one was in­jured,” said Shashikant Kale, chief fire of­fi­cer of Thane Mu­nic­i­pal Cor­po­ra­tion (TMC).

The fire was doused by the fire bri­gade within 20 min­utes, leav­ing a thick cover of smoke around the area.

The fire bri­gade has closed the mall.

Kale said the mall’s ducts were open and elec­tri­cal wires were jut­ting out. “The mall had in­stalled fire equip­ment. But, it was not work­ing as it had not been prop­erly main­tained. We did not find any hoses, cou­plings, in­lets or out­lets for fire pipes. We sent a no­tice to the mall au­thor­ity, shut­ting the mall till it files a com­pli­ance of adopt­ing safety mea­sures.”

“We have cut off the mall’s wa­ter and power sup­ply. Both will be re­sumed only af­ter com­pli­ance is given to the fire depart­ment,” said San­tosh Kadam, re­gional dis­as­ter man­age­ment of­fi­cer of Thane.

“Ac­cord­ing to the Fire Pre­ven­tion and Safety Act of 2006, if the depart­ment finds that an es­tab­lish­ment has not main­tained its fire sys­tem or not fol­lowed fire safety norms, it has the right to stop all ac­tiv­ity in that build­ing,” he said.

The mall author­i­ties re­fused to di­vulge in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing their fire safety equip­ment. They de­nied that their fire sys­tem was not main­tained prop­erly.

“The fire was mi­nor and no one was in­jured. The fire of­fi­cials have given us guide­lines, which we will fol­low. The mall had to be closed as the elec­tri­cal wiring caught fire and needs to be re­paired. We will re-open the mall as soon as pos­si­ble,” said a mem­ber of the mall com­mit­tee, re­quest­ing anonymity.

A 52-year-old painter from Pan­vel died af­ter he fell off a stair­case of a pri­vate hos­pi­tal in Khanda Colony on Thurs­day.

Ac­cord­ing to the po­lice, Muham­mad Aziz Hanif had taken the task of paint­ing the build­ing of the hos­pi­tal.

Around 11.45 am, when he was paint­ing the rooms on first floor near the stair­case, he slipped and fell. He died while be­ing treated at the hos­pi­tal.

“He suf­fered se­vere in­juries on his head and other parts of his body and felt un­con­scious af­ter some­time. The doc­tors de­clared him dead af­ter a few hours,” said a po­lice of­fi­cer from Khandeshwar po­lice sta­tion.

The po­lice have reg­is­tered a case un­der sec­tion 304a (caus­ing death by neg­li­gence) of the In­dian Pe­nal Code (IPC) against the hos­pi­tal author­i­ties, but have not ar­rested any­one.

The po­lice are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing and will take ac­tion af­ter find­ing out who is re­spon­si­ble for the ac­ci­dent.

“We will have to find out who is ac­tu­ally re­spon­si­ble for the in­ci­dent. Le­gal ac­tion will be taken if any­one if found guilty,” the of­fi­cer said.

The de­ceased’s body was sent to Pan­vel ru­ral hos­pi­tal for con­duct­ing post-mortem and then it was handed over to his fam­ily. The post-mortem reports are yet to come, said the po­lice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.