Terror strikes France again I’ve never advocated suicide bombing, claims Zakir Naik
84 DEAD 31-year-old French-Tunisian man drives truck through crowd celebrating national day in Nice HORROR Promenade des Anglais left strewn with bodies; no group claims gruesome attack
France extended a national state of emergency and vowed to strengthen its fight against terrorism as the country absorbed the shock of a French-Tunisian man driving a truck at high speed through Bastille Day revellers on Thursday, killing at least 84 people and injuring scores.
Thirty one-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ploughed a 19-tonne truck for two kilometres through the crowd before he was shot dead by policemen, the third major terrorist attack in 19 months in France.
Nice’s palm-lined Promenade des Anglais was left strewn with bodies as hundreds fled in terror. In a video viewed more than 4,500 times on Facebook, a trembling witness, Tarubi Wahid Mosta, recounted the horror on the promenade.
“I almost stepped on a corpse, it was horrible. It looked like a battlefield,” he said.
He took photographs of an abandoned doll and pushchair and described the sense of helplessness faced with the carnage.
No group claimed the gruesome attack, which left mangled bodies in pools of blood on the Riviera. Mobile phone footage showed the truck initially moving at slow speed before the guntoting driver sped up and began mowing down people.
Hollande, who declared the incident a “terrorist” attack, said France will continue “striking those who attack us on our own soil”. He added: “We will further strengthen our actions in Syria and Iraq.” A body at Nice’s palm-lined Promenade des Anglais in France after the attack on Thursday.
The attack, on the day France marks the 1789 revolutionary storming of Bastille prison in Paris, was an assault on liberty by fanatics who despised human rights, he said.
Hollande also said in a predawn address he would call up thousands of military and police reservists to relieve forces worn out by enforcing a state of emergency begun in November after Islamic State suicide bombers struck Paris and killed 130 people.
Only hours earlier, he had announced the emergency would be lifted by the end of July. Following the attack, he said it would be extended by another three months. ‘Bodies flew like skittles as the truck drove along’ Islamic State had warned of similar strikes twice PM Modi to meet CMs to discuss internal security
Controversial Islamic preacher Dr Zakir Naik on Friday addressed a press conference via Skype from Medina in Saudi Arabia, at which he dismissed as “misinformation” allegations that he advocated suicide bombings or inspired terrorists. He said he has always condemned suicide attacks as they lead to the deaths of innocent people, which is “anti-Islam”. However, he went on to say that suicide bombings can be used in some situations.
Naik, the subject of a police inquiry since it was reported that two of the terrorists who took hostages in Dhaka two weeks ago had drawn inspiration from his sermons, began the press conference by offering condolences for the victims of Friday’s carnage in Nice, France.
“I did not inspire any terrorist. Suicide bombings targeting innocent people are condemnable,” Naik said, adding that his statements on terrorism and suicide bombings had been “doctored and tampered [with]”.