Is­lamic State claims Nice ter­ror strike, calls at­tacker its ‘sol­dier’

Hindustan Times ST (Mumbai) - HT Navi Mumbai Live - - FRONT PAGE - Agence France-Presse let­ters@hin­dus­tan­times.com HT Cor­re­spon­dent ht­metro@hin­dus­tan­times.com

The Is­lamic State claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity on Satur­day for the truck mas­sacre in Nice which France said was “a new kind of at­tack,” as it faced hard ques­tions over se­cu­rity fail­ures. In a state­ment via its Amaq news ser­vice, IS said one of its “sol­diers” car­ried out the at­tack “in re­sponse to calls to tar­get na­tions of coali­tion states that are fight­ing [IS]”.

Mo­hamed La­houaiej-Bouh­lel, 31, ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd that had been watch­ing Bastille Day fire­works, killing 84 and in­jur­ing 200 peo­ple. Sup­port­ers of Turk­ish Pres­i­dent Tayyip Er­do­gan cel­e­brate af­ter sol­diers in­volved in the coup sur­ren­dered in Is­tan­bul. Peo­ple mourn at a makeshift memo­rial on Prom­e­nade des Anglais, Nice, where the at­tack took place, on Satur­day.

In fresh trou­ble for em­bat­tled liquor baron Vi­jay Mallya, the met­ro­pol­i­tan mag­is­trate court in And­heri is­sued a non-bail­able war­rant against him on Satur­day in a cheque bounce case, where the Air­port Author­ity of In­dia (AAI) is the com­plainant. The court had, in a hear­ing on May 7, given Mallya “last chance” to ap­pear be­fore it as the AAI had sought a war­rant to se­cure his pres­ence. The ad­vo­cate for AAI, Anil Kathuria, had pleaded that Mallya’s pres­ence was re­quired.

REUTERS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.