Heated debate in PMC meeting over irregularities in work order
ILLEGAL EXTENSION Councillor alleges two organisations selected for same developmental work
A total of 4,713 employees will recruited in Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) soon.
These include ward officers and assistant municipal commissioners.
The NMMC has sent a proposal for the recruitments to the state government for sanction.
Municipal commissioner Tukaram Mundhe has said that the posts will be filled as soon as the sanction is received.
Mundhe said, “Since our objective is to ensure that the residents’ work is done at the ward office level itself, there is a need to increase the working capacity of the office. For this, the number of personnel in the offices will be increased.”
He added, “Once the government approval is in, we will fill the posts with permanent employees.”
Mundhe said, “The recruitments will be done as per the norms of the government through open advertisements followed by interviews. It will be a transparent process.”
Mundhe has earlier laid off several contract workers stating they cannot be absorbed as permanent employees as per the rules and regulations of the government.
Opposition leader Sandeep Patil sparked uproar in the Panvel Municipal Council’s (PMC) meeting on Wednesday when he alleged irregularities in the work to be done by the ruling party under the chief minister’s relief fund.
A total of 46 resolutions were tabled for discussion in the meeting of which only five were stayed.
PMC, soon to become a municipal corporation, conducted its general meeting on Wednesday, where even before a resolution could be brought up for discussion, Patil brought forth his allegations. He claimed that the contractor (for the work under the CM’s relief fund) had been granted an extension, in violation of the norms. He also alleged that two organisations had been selected for the same developmental work.
A sum of Rs14.5 lakh had been sanctioned for developing Sector 7 of Khanda Colony from the then chief minister Prithviraj Chavan’s fund. According to Patil, no work had begun on that front.
“The contractor did not begin the work despite the expiry of the work order time,” he said. “No action was taken against him as per the law, instead he was given an extension of 18 months. The illegal extension had been given by the PMC president despite opposition by the chief executive officer and city engineer. There should be a detailed inquiry into the issue.”
He further said, “The area falls under the PMC president’s ward had paver block installation needs to be done. The permission was sanctioned from district collector’s office too. Obviously this seems to be a ploy to get bills sanctioned from two sources.”
PMC president Charusheela Gharat denied the allegations. “If there really is any duplication, we will ensure that the work order is cancelled,” she said.
The House also took up the issue of toilets under the Swachch Bharat mission. The pipeline connection of various toilets that have been constructed is still pending. There were complaints that PMC had issued cheques to beneficiaries despite the incomplete work.
Congress councillor Nirmala Mhatre said, “Even though the month of Shravan starts in a few days, the city is experiencing traffic snarls because of the various work in progress. Since there is an increased traffic, PMC needs to ensure that the work is completed at the earliest and there are no major traffic issues.”
She added, “There is also a need for action against illegal hawkers in the city.” Water flows out of Tansa pipeline after it burst at Vartak Nagar in Thane on Thursday.