Cops get 500 complaints on Twitter Thane’s grand Dahi Handi celebration to lose lustre
IN SIX MONTHS Police dept has increased their presence in digital world through Facebook, mobile app and WhatsApp
Gone are the days when one had to sit in a police station for hours to meet a subinspector and lodge a complaint.
Thanks to advanced technology, the police are just a click away.
The Navi Mumbai police launched their Twitter account on January 26 to communicate with the residents and solve their issues instantly.
Till August 15, the police received over 500 complaints apart from many suggestions on their Twitter account. And around 80% of these complaints were related to traffic issues.
“If a resident notices a violation of the traffic norms, he or she tweets us along with a picture of that spot or the vehicle. Our special team which monitors to Twitter handle immediately alerts officers. Apart from traffic issues, we are also receiving other complaints on it, but their number is not so much,” said Dilip Sawant, deputy commissioner of police (crime).
The police department has increased their presence in the digital world through other mediums such as Facebook, mobile app and WhatsApp in the past six to seven months.
For giving information on various topics such as passport, rules for foreign residents, missing persons, stolen vehicles, unidentified bodies among others they are aggressively using their website which was launched in November last year. If anyone has queries he can contact the police by dropping a message on the website. He can contact the officers by taking phone numbers from the site.
The WhatsApp numbers have not been as popular as the Twitter accounts. The police have received around 250 complaints and suggestions on the mobile phone messenger. “We are also receiving a good response on Facebook. Our mobile apps are mainly for safety of women and people in distress,” Sawant said.
He said, “The biggest advantage of introducing the digital mediums is that people don’t have to go to police station for minor issues. We try to solve the issues as soon as we get a message.”
“If residents have any complaints about our officials or if they learn about corruption of any officer or any unscrupulous nexus with anyone, they can also write to us on any of these mediums. We will take the requisite measures for that too. Thus, the system has become transparent and resident-friendly now,” he said. 8424820686 8424820665. 1093 103 7738393839 18002002122
The decision of the Supreme Court to uphold the Bombay high court’s restrictions on Dahi Handi celebration has not gone down well with the organisers and Govindas in Thane and Kalyan.
The city which has set a world record for highest pyramid in Dahi Handi celebration is set to see another year of toned down celebrations.
The apex court on Wednesday ruled that the height of the human pyramid should not exceed 20 feet. Moreover, it also ordered that no Govinda below18 years would be allowed to participate in forming the pyramid. The government of Maharashtra had approached the apex court to seek clarity on the issue last week.
Last year, the Bombay high court had given the same ruling leading to the cancellation of many Dahi Handi celebrations in the city.
NCP leader Jitendra Awhad, whose organisation Sangharsh usually holds grand Dahi Handi celebrations in the city had cancelled the event last year following the court’s order. Awhad told Hindustan Times, “It is extremely unfortunate that the celebration is marred with restrictions. We will not organise Dahi Handi this year as well.” He further added, “These festivals are our tradition and we cannot stop celebrating them altogether. We will now have to change the way we celebrate festivals and infuse new elements in them.”
The NCP legislator added that the apex court was right in putting the restrictions as the festival was becoming life threatening for the participants under the garb of competitiveness.
Sena MLA Pratap Sarnaik, who organises Dahi handi under the Sanskruti Pratishthan too said that Dahi Handi celebrations this year would be a lowkey affair like it was in 2015. “We were expecting that the apex court will ease the Bombay high court’s norms. But we have still not lost hope as the next hearing is set for October when the state will present a better case. The decision has disheartened the Govindas and the Dahi Handi organisers in the city.”
Sarnaik said that this year his organisation would celebrate the festival abiding by the height restrictions for the human pyramid set by the Supreme Court. “We will abide by the norm of keeping the pyramid limited to four to five tiers. I was never in favour of allowing Govindas younger than 18 to participate in these events so this part of the decision is welcome. But we want the court to ease the pyramid’s height restriction,” Sarnaik added.