10 tainted road contractors likely to be blacklisted
Civic chief Ajoy Mehta, announced on Wednesday in a standing committee meeting, that 10 contractors, who are likely to be named in a detailed inquiry report for their shoddy road work, will be blacklisted.
He also said the BMC has introduced 17 new road contractors, who have bagged works worth Rs1,000 crore, since May last year.
The civic chief also identified 455 locations where potholes are formed every monsoon and has directed the deputy municipal commissioners and ward officers to fix them.
After the first phase of the inquiry report was out in May, in which 34 repaired roads were inspected, Mehta had ordered the six contractors who did the work be blacklisted. An FIR was also filed against these six contractors.
Despite this, the six contractors are currently overseeing 150 road works worth around Rs1500 crore. There are 10 other contractors against whom action is likely after the second inquiry report of 200 roads is out.
“The contractors involved in irregularities will not be spared and strict action will be taken against them,” Mehta said.
When warring allies Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena decided to contest the municipal council polls together — to test the waters before the corporation polls in Mumbai and Thane — it was perceived as an attempt to call a truce. However, the municipal council polls seem to have done the exact opposite, by exposing the fractured ties between the two parties on the ground — the alliance ultimately worked out in less than 10 places.