40-yr-old who duped six firms of ₹38 lakh arrested after 3 yrs
MUMBAI: A 40-year-old man was arrested on Thursday for allegedly cheating six companies of ₹38 lakh. According to the Oshiwada police, the accused, Rajiv Ahuja, was booked in 2015, after which a detailed investigation in the case led to a lookout notice for him.
Ahuja was nabbed at the international airport in the city on Thursday.
“He used to establish BPO companies and outsource data feed from other companies in order to run his call centres. He made six such companies and cheated data-feeding companies to the tune of ₹38 lakh,” said an officer from Oshiwara police station.
Police also said there are warrants against the accused in Bangalore too.
“There are warrants to nab him in Bangalore too. Charges against him there are similar to the ones in Mumbai,” said the officer.
Police had recovered Ahuja’s passport details after he went absconding.
“We were tracking his passport details, when we got to know that he will be landing from Philippines on Friday. We
formed a team and nabbed him at the international airport,” the officer said.
A case under sections 419,420,468 and 469 of Indian Penal CODE(IPC) had been registered against him three years ago. “He has been remanded in police custody till June 18 and further interrogation will put shed light on his modus operandi,” said the officer.
Residents of the society said their building is in a dilapidated condition. The girl, Nishtha Chowdhary, had come to stay at her relative Bharat Chowdhary’s house a few days ago.
She was playing near the window when the grill collapsed, taking her three floors down along with it, a source said. She sustained minor injuries to her head and has been admitted to MGM hospital.
Family members refused to speak, but a neighbour, Kiranjeet Kaur, 27, said, “We have been complaining to the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) and to the City and Industrial Development Corporation (Cidco) for a long time that our building is in a dilapidated condition. But nobody cares. It is no surprise that a window grill came off. The building structure has become weak. The child could have died.” Sunil Wadkar, 35, another resident, agreed. “We are not getting permission for redevelopment, nor are authorities doing anything to make the structure more safe. If they don’t do something soon, we will start an agitation.”
Local corporator Sampat Shevale said, “This is a serious matter. It is fortunate that the child escaped with minor injuries. I will take up the issue with MLA Manda Mhatre and help residents of the building.”
Vashi ward officer Mahendra Singh Thoke said they are not aware of the incident.“the building has not been declared dilapidated by the civic body. We will look into the issue,” said Thoke.