‘We have tried to cau­tion buy­ers’

HT Estates - - FRONT PAGE -

Delhi De­vel­op­ment Au­thor­ity ( D DA ) v i c e c h a i r m a n Balvin­der Kumar ex­presses se­ri­ous con­cern over the real es­tate ac­tiv­i­ties of wel­fare so­ci­eties and de­vel­op­ers in the land pool­ing zones much be­fore the no­ti­fi­ca­tion of the draft reg­u­la­tion of the land pool­ing pol­icy. Some ex­cerpts f rom his i nter­view with Jee­van Prakash Sharma Are you aware that hun­dreds of wel­fare so­ci­eties have been regis­tered and that money is be­ing col­lected for real es­tate ac­tiv­i­ties un­der DDA’s land pool­ing pol­icy? Yes, we have come to know about th­ese ac­tiv­i­ties from var­i­ous peo­ple. On our part, we gave ad­ver­tise­ments in news­pa­pers twice to cau­tion home­buy­ers that they risk their hard-earned money by in­vest­ing in such ven­tures.

Why is DDA not tak­ing any ac­tion against peo­ple in­volved in th­ese ac­tiv­i­ties? The prob­lem is that we have not re­ceived any com­plaint yet. I know that it will be too late when peo­ple com­plain. The un­for­tu­nate part is that the ed­u­cated and pro­fes­sional class is in­vest­ing in th­ese so­ci­eties. If the draft reg­u­la­tion pol­icy is no­ti­fied, will you recog­nise th­ese so­ci­eties as land own­ers and ac­cept their land un­der the land pool­ing scheme? A de­vel­oper en­tity can be any­thing. It can be a company, a con­sor­tium, a so­ci­ety or any amal­ga­ma­tion of mem­bers, but we will recog­nise one en­tity from whom we will take land and re­turn un­der the pol­icy. So that way, if a wel­fare so­ci­ety owns land and wants to give it to DDA, there is noth­ing wrong in that. But when the draft reg­u­la­tion is yet to be no­ti­fied, is it fair on the part of any company or so­ci­ety to col­lect money for that pur­pose? Also, some of th­ese so­ci­eties are regis­tered un­der the So­ci­ety Reg­is­tra­tion Act 1860 for wel­fare ac­tiv­i­ties. You are right that when draft reg­u­la­tion of land pool­ing is not no­ti­fied, col­lect­ing money for that pur­pose is il­le­gal. Also, peo­ple need to un­der­stand that if a suf­fi­cient num­ber of ap­pli­cants don’t come for­ward from a

par­tic­u­lar sec­tor, it is pos­si­ble that the sec­tor may not be cov­ered un­der land pool­ing pol­icy at all. For ex­am­ple, there is a zone un­der which there is a sec­tor which has a to­tal of 250 hectares of land. To bring this sec­tor un­der the land pool­ing pol­icy, we need 60% of land. It means 60% land should be of­fered to DDA by the var­i­ous landown­ers. If DDA gets less than that, then that sec­tor will not be cov­ered un­der the land pool­ing pol­icy. So any so­ci­ety which is buy­ing land at this mo­ment is risk­ing the money of its mem­bers be­cause no one knows which sec­tor has the po­ten­tial to be cov­ered un­der the pol­icy. Out of all the land avail­able in th­ese zones, what per­cent­age of the to­tal is ex­pected to come un­der the land pool­ing pol­icy? Ac­cord­ing to my es­ti­ma­tion, out of 100% area of the land pool­ing zones, max­i­mum 30% will be cov­ered un­der the land pool­ing pol­icy. So what hap­pens to wel­fare so­ci­eties whose land falls in the rest of 70% area? What will they do then?

Another thing which will not be clear

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.