Smart Cities Council India launched
Smart Cities Council India, an industry coalition to advance smart city development and innovation, was launched in the Capital recently. The council will catapult Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 100 smart cities programme onto the global stage and will be the point of reference for smart cities in the country.
“India is the ideal location for a Smart Cities Council. We are proud to partner with entrepreneurs such as Pratap Padode, president, Foundation of Infrastructure Research Studies Training (FIRST), along with Indian civil society, scientists and engineers to develop smart cities solutions,” said Philip Bane, executive director of the Smart Cities Council. “With the world’s largest urban democracy, we believe that India can show us unique, sustainable solutions that can be utilised throughout the world.”
As the founder of Smart Cities Council India, Padode will recruit Indian smart cities experts to develop a unique Readiness Guide for India that will show how the world’s largest urban democracy will accommodate large-scale growth and economic development using smart technologies.
Commenting on the Cabinet’s nod to the smart cities initiative, Padode said that “The Union cabinet’s green signal to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s smart cities project is one big move which could catapult India into a smart nation by invigorating urban renewal for its 30% population and create engines of growth which would fuel the survival of the remaining 70% spread across over 500,000 hamlets and villages. With just 0.70% of the GDP being spent on urban renewal, the return on investment (ROI) in the form of contribution is compelling at 70% of GDP. Planning and building cities is a high ROI proposition. If they were built to be smart the quotient of sustainability too would be greater causing the proposition to be attractive.”