HT Estates - - HTESTATES - Harsh Roongta

I have taken a house on rent in Delhi and I am get­ting rent ex­emp­tion on the amount I am pay­ing as rent. I am plan­ning to buy a house in Ker­ala by tak­ing a home loan of ₹ 40 lakh. Can I get both rent and hous­ing loan ex­emp­tion on my in­come if I con­tinue to re­side in Delhi and pur­chase a prop­erty back home to live in after re­tire­ment?

— Man­ish Vohra Yes, you can claim both HRA and tax ben­e­fits on a home loan pro­vided you are able to prove that you are stay­ing in a house not owned by you and you are pay­ing rent for it. It does not mat­ter which city the rented house is in. What is im­por­tant is that you should be able to prove that you are ac­tu­ally pay­ing the rent for the house that does not be­long to you. The ex­emp­tion of HRA is not linked in any man­ner with al­low­ing the claim for de­duc­tion of in­ter­est payable on a loan taken to ac­quire/con­struct an­other house prop-

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.