A brief on news, tie-ups, appointments and awards
Samsung opened the world’s largest mobile phone plant in Noida last month, placing the industrial city of Uttar Pradesh on the global map. The plant, jointly inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, will manufacture 12 crore mobiles a year by 2020. The Noida plant was set up in 1996, where it has been manufacturing smartphones, refrigerators and flat-screen televisions. The existing plant was expanded with an investment of Rs 4,915 crore and is expected to create 15,000 local jobs. Around 70 per cent of mobiles manufactured at Samsung’s facility will be sold in India, while the remaining 30 per cent will make their way into the export market. The expanded Noida plant marks another major milestone in UP’s exciting journey of industrialisation.