AIIMS may open can­cer cen­tre at ITO

Mail Today - - NEWS - By Priyanka Sharma in New Delhi

LOOK­ING at the ris­ing in­ci­dence of can­cer in the coun­try, the All India In­sti­tute of Med­i­cal Sci­ence (AIIMS) is likely to es­tab­lish a can­cer care cen­tre at the ITO in the na­tional Cap­i­tal.

The Yuva Bharati Trust has signed a me­moran­dum with AIIMS, In­dian So­ci­ety of On­col­ogy and Na­tional Can­cer In­sti­tute (NCI) to es­tab­lish a can­cer cen­tre. For this, the Yuva Bharti Trust has planned to pro­vide a space to AIIMS at Chan­dra Shekhar Bhawan area in ITO.

“The project was in the pipe­line for a long time. The Yuva Bharati Trust has ap­proached us with an idea to start with can­cer screen­ing cen­tre like AIIMS. This cen­tre will pro­vide can­cer screen­ing fa­cil­i­ties, vac­ci­na­tion for cer­vi­cal can­cer, tele-on­col­ogy and di­ag­nos­tic fa­cil­i­ties,” AIIMS Dr Ab­hishek Shankar, se­nior on­col­o­gist, said adding that the name of the cen­tre has been pro­posed as Chan­dra Shekhar Cen­tre for Can­cer Care.

The new can­cer cen­tre will alert peo­ple about the can­cer screen­ing at an early stage so that treat­ment is pos­si­ble. Doc­tors say that presently pa­tients come to the hos­pi­tal at stage 3 or 4 when treat­ment be­comes neg­li­gi­ble.

Over the years, the in­ci­dence of can­cer has been re­port­edly in­creas­ing. “As per the data re­vealed by the na­tional can­cer registry, in 2016 about 14.5 lakh pa­tients were no­ti­fied with can­cer dis­ease, how­ever, for 2017, num­ber are rose to 15 lakh pa­tients. So, cases are in­creas­ing each year,” Shankar said.

“Ev­ery year, in India more than 44 lakh peo­ple are di­ag­nosed with can­cer and med­i­cal treat­ment reaches to only 5 lakh pa­tients. Nearly 10 peo­ple die just due to the lack of health­care ser­vices,” he added.

In India, peo­ple are mostly de­tected with breast, cer­vi­cal, oral and lung can­cer. Shankar said that more than 70 per cent can­cer is pre­ventable and more than 80 per cent can­cer is cur­able if de­tected early. More than 80 per cent of cases are pre­sented in stage 3 and 4, and has a sur­vival chance of only 20 per cent.

The AIIMS has also started with a new de­vel­op­ment in op­er­at­ing ab­dom­i­nal can­cer pa­tients with no pain.

“We have started an ad­vanced tech­nique called the In­tra- Op­er­a­tive Chemo-Ther­apy to kill can­cer cells dur­ing surgery. In this we put chemo threa­phy to the pa­tient at the same time when he is un­der anes­the­sia. “With this, the pa­tient will not feel the pain of chemo­ther­apy, which is usu­ally done af­ter the surgery. Colon can­cer and ovar­ian can­cer is listed in ab­dom­i­nal can­cer,” said Dr SVS Dev, head of sur­gi­cal on­col­ogy depart­ment at AIIMS.

So far, 70 pa­tients who were even in their stage-4 have been treated with this new method, and suc­cess rate has been around 50 per cent, he said.

REPRESENTATIONAL IM­AGE

In India, peo­ple mostly get de­tected with breast, cer­vi­cal, oral and lung can­cer.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.