BEL, Thales to make high-tech radars
Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) and Thales have signed a memorandum of understanding to make high-tech radars for military and civilian use.
“Following the signing of the memorandum of understanding on November 17, 2009, public sector company, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Thales are delighted to announce that the Boards of both companies have approved the formation of a joint venture company (JVC) subject to statutory approvals of the Government of India and the French Government,” Thales said.
The joint venture will design, develop and market the radars. BEL would hold a 74 per cent equity stake in the joint venture, putting in around $10 million, while Thales would take the remaining 26 per cent. of collateral damage and improves efficiency.
It is planned to introduce the SPACIDO system into operational use in the French Armed Forces after qualification in 2014. Many Armed Forces in other countries have already shown a keen interest in this solution.