F1 Teams Set to Return to the 2015 Qualifying System
Formula One will revert to its 2015 qualifying format at next week’s Chinese Grand Prix, sources at the governing FIA told Reuters on Thursday. The sport had looked set to retain its unpopular qualifying format in China after teams rejected a compromise backed by the governing FIA and called for a return to last year’s version. Sources said the teams outlined their united position in a letter to F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and International Automobile Federation (FIA) head Jean Todt. The pair had ruled out going back to the old system at a 90-minute meeting with the teams in Bahrain last weekend. Teams agreed at last weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix to vote by Thursday on the compromise solution which would see each driver do at least two laps in each of the three phases of qualifying with the times aggregated.