US, Britain And France Back Azhar Ban in UN; China Vetoes it Again
China has used a technical hold twice on a proposal by India to have Azhar blacklisted
New Delhi: In a big boost to India’s efforts to add Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed’s chief Masood Azhar in the United Nations blacklist, the United States has taken up the proposal.
According to senior government sources, the US, supported by the UK and France, moved a proposal at the UN’s Sanctions Committee 1267 in the second-half of lastmonthtoproscribe Azhar who is considered to have mastermindedsomeof itsdeadliestterror attacks in India including last year’s strike on Pathankot air force.
The development will help increase pressure on China that blocked India’s proposal to blacklist Azhar late last year.
“We have been informed of this development; the matter has been taken up with the Chinese government,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup told reporters here on Tuesday.
According to people in the know, the US proposal, which was finalised after “consultations” between Washington and New Delhi, said JeM is a designated terror outfit and so its leaders cannot go scot-free. “However, China opposed the US move by putting a ‘hold’ on the proposal,” one of them said. The Chinese action came just before the expiry of the 10-day deadline for any proposal to be adopted or blocked or to be put on hold, the person said.
All of last year, China used a ‘technical hold’ twice on a proposal by India to have Azhar, who lives in Pakistan, added to a list of organisations and individuals that support the Al-Qaeda against whom action is ordered by the UN Security Council 1267 committee. A UN blacklist would freeze Azhar’s assets and ban his travel globally.