Stan Wawrinka confirms AO start
RELIEVED former winner Stan Wawrinka confirmed on Saturday he will play the Australian Open, saying his knee is holding up well but he was still feeling pain.
The three-time Grand Slam champion hasn’t played since Wimbledon in July after surgery and pulled out of an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi late last month, casting doubt on whether he would be ready. He admitted it had been a race against time, but said he was confident enough to take the court next week against first-round opponent Ricardas Berankis.
“For me, I think the fact that I’m here and I’m going to play the first one, it’s a big victory,” he said after a week of intense practice in Melbourne against Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and others.