NEs as­saulted in district court: HC is­sues con­tempt no­tice

The Political and Business Daily - - METRO -

THE Delhi High Court to­day is­sued show cause no­tices to two lawyers ask­ing them why crim­i­nal con­tempt pro­ceed­ings should not be ini­ti­ated against them for al­legedly abus­ing and man­han­dling per­sons from the North­east, in­clud­ing a woman ad­vo­cate, in­side a district court premises here.

A bench of Chief Jus­tice G Ro­hini and Jus­tice R S End­law said prima fa­cie crim­i­nal con­tempt is made out against the two lawyers and oth­ers who had al­legedly abused and man­han­dled the per­sons from North­east­ern In­dia.

"Hav­ing re­gard to the facts and cir­cum­stances, this court is prima fa­cie sat­is­fied that the al­leged acts against the re­spon­dents (two lawyers) are of such na­ture prej­u­dic­ing and in­ter­fer­ing with the due course of ju­di­cial pro­ceed­ing and ad­min­is­tra­tion of jus­tice.

"There­fore, is­sue no­tice to the re­spon­dents herein, re­turn­able by Au­gust 11, 2014, to show cause as to why charges should not be framed for ini­ti­a­tion of pro­ceed­ings for crim­i­nal con­tempt as pro­vided un­der the Con­tempt of Courts Act," the bench said.

The court also sought a sta­tus re­port from Delhi govern­ment on the steps taken by them af­ter regis­tra­tion of FIR against the two lawyers, Azad Chan­dra Prakash Gau­tam and Varun Ku­mar Jain.

It also sought a com­pre­hen­sive and de­tailed re­port about the in­ci­dent which had oc­curred on May 23, 2014 at Tis Hazari court premises.

The court also sought a re­port from the Tis Hazari court about the present sta­tus of the pro­ceed­ings in a mo­lesta­tion case which had led to the in­ci­dent of May 23.

The order was passed by the court af­ter pe­rus­ing the af­fi­davits filed by the vic­tims of the as­sault and another lawyer who was rep­re­sent­ing the vic­tim in the mo­lesta­tion case.

The af­fi­davits were filed af­ter the court had yes­ter­day asked the pe­ti­tion­ers to make spe­cific al­le­ga­tions against the two ac­cused lawyers.

In their re­spec­tive af­fi­davits, the pe­ti­tion­ers and the lawyer of the mo­lesta­tion vic­tim have laid out the chain of events that led to the in­ci­dent of May 23 when they were as­saulted in­side the court premises by a group of ad­vo­cates in­clud­ing the two con­tem­nors.

Ap­pear­ing for the peti- tion­ers, se­nior ad­vo­cate Indira Jais­ing termed as "dis­turb­ing" the "re­peated in­stances of as­sault against the peo­ple from North­east".

Delhi Po­lice, mean­while, told the court that an FIR has been lodged against the two lawyers and they are look­ing as to who were the oth­ers in­volved in the in­ci­dent.

The agency said it will file a sta­tus re­port giv­ing de­tails of the probe con­ducted so far as well as any other steps taken by them.

The con­tempt pe­ti­tion has al­ready re­ceived the con­sent of Of­fi­cial Stand­ing Coun­sel Saleem Ahmed whose per­mis­sion was sought prior to fil­ing of the plea.

A group of Kan­wariyas in Faridabad on Thurs­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.