Sisodia explains why Delhi kids will be tough to corrupt
New Delhi: In the near future, it would be difficult to corrupt, or influence on religious lines, those studying in Delhi government schools, deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia claimed on Wednesday. This would be made possible by “happiness lessons” that would be imparted at these schools to develop the “critical thinking abilities” of students, he said.
Speaking at an event to mark three years of the AAP government, Sisodia said the government had commissioned a team of experts, including schoolteachers, to prepare a framework for the “happiness curriculum”, which the government planned to introduce for students of nursery to Class VIII from the next academic session.
A significant part of the event was dedicated to elaborating on government’s “achievements” in the education sector. Interestingly, among the cabinet ministers, it was only Sisodia — who is also the education minister — who got the opportunity to speak at the function even as chief minister Arvind Kejriwal himself touched upon other sectors briefly.
Claiming that AAP had kept its pre-poll promises, Sisodia said: “Education was in a mess when we took over and schools lacked proper infrastructure.” He said the government had involved parents in its efforts to improve the quality of education through parent-teacher meets and by forming school management committees. The existing model of education in the country, Sisodia claimed, had focused on only 5% of the population, which meant the remaining 95% didn’t have access to good education. “FDI is of no use if 74% of students can’t even read their textbooks,” Sisodia said, while claiming that several students were now making a switch from private schools to government ones.
The government had opened 14 new colleges that were offering vocational courses, Sisodia claimed, adding that even the Centre was interested in replicating the city’s education model in other states.