Stalker kills woman with axe on road

Was Ar­rested For Heck­ling Her, Got Bail Four Days Ago

The Times of India (New Delhi edition) - - TIMES CITY - Ayaskant.Das@

Ghazi­abad: A 22-year-old woman was on Wed­nes­day hacked to death with an axe by a youth who had re­cently been ar­rested just a week ago for ha­rass­ing her and had walked out on bail just four days ago.

Priyanka’s mur­der, in Mo­d­i­na­gar around 5pm, set off a lo­cal in­tel­li­gence alert and led to po­lice forces be­ing rushed to the area amid spec­u­la­tion that the at­tack was linked to Valen­tine’s Day. Sachin Sharma, the man be­lieved to have com­mit­ted the mur­der, sur­ren­dered at the lo­cal po­lice sta­tion. Po­lice said he was still car­ry­ing the mur­der weapon when he gave him­self up.

Sharma and Priyanka, the po­lice claimed, had known each other for a while and a “dis­pute” be­tween them had been brew­ing since Priyanka got mar­ried last year. Po­lice also said the two had once been in a re­la­tion­ship but Priyanka’s fam­ily strongly de­nied that, say­ing Sharma’s feel­ings were “one-sided”.

Sharma at­tacked Priyanka around 100 me­tres from the rail­way cross­ing (Gate No. 16) when she was re­turn­ing home from a tai­lor­ing shop. Po­lice sources said she had in­juries on her neck, chest and stomach. “She bled to death at the spot,” her un­cle Ram Bharose Lal told TOI. “On Fe­bru­ary 12, Sachin Sharma had sent a mes­sage to Priyanka with the pic­ture of a gun to threaten her. It seems he pro­posed to her again and tried to make ad­vances that were spurned by Priyanka. Then he at­tacked her with the axe,” he added.

Priyanka’s fam­ily mem­bers said she got mar­ried to San­deep (26) in Loni on April 17 last year. She had come to her par­ents’ place, in Mo­d­i­na­gar’s Govin­d­puri, 10 days ago to ap­pear in the Class X UP board ex­am­i­na­tions that are un­der way.

On Fe­bru­ary 8, Sharma had al­legedly stopped Priyanka on her way back from an exam. “He was stand­ing along the ro- ad with three to four friends. He stopped Priyanka and tried talk­ing to her. But Priyanka re­fused. Sharma fol­lowed her all the way to our house and started a quar­rel. We called the po­lice,” said Ram Bharose Lal.

Sharma was ar­rested and charged with dis­turb­ing peace un­der the Crim­i­nal Pro­ce­dure Code. He was re­leased on bail by the sub-di­vi­sional mag­is­trate a cou­ple of days later.

Forces were mo­bilised in Mo­d­i­na­gar in or­der to quell any break­down in lawand-or­der as soon as news of the mur­der spread and lo­cals started gath­er­ing around the po­lice sta­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.