‘How easily have they been allowed to walk free!’
Charminar: After waiting patiently for 11 years, the hopes of many were crushed within minutes on Monday as the judge pronounced all the five accused in the Mecca Masjid blast case ‘not guilty’. Clearly, the battle for the victims and their families is far from over.
Enraged and wounded at the same time, the only question they all had to ask was: “Who, then, was behind that horrific blast?” They deman- ded that a fair and transparent probe be initiated in the case again to bring the offenders to task. They aren’t willing to let go of this battle for justice.
“I am surprised how the accused, who had earlier reportedly confessed to conspiring in the crime, have now been let off. This verdict has left us pained and severely hurt our sentiments. I want to ask the authorities, just why it took so many years to come to this conclusion. And
The involvement and confessions of the accused can’t be overlooked like this. We want justice AMIR KHAN
if not them, then who,” asked Syed Saddam. His two brothers were wounded in the 2007 incident.
For Amir Khan, too, the judgment was deeply disturbing. He not only lost his father and cousin in the blastbut was also compelled to shift to a different locality, only to be able to cope with life thereafter. “How easily have all the accused been allowed to walk free! Their involvement and confessions can’t be overlooked like this. We want justice in this case,” said Khan demanding the severest punishment for all conspirators and accused.
So does Syed Saddam, confessing how the images of May 18 continue to haunt him to date. His two brothers were among those injured.
“I still remember that day when I rushed to help my injured brothers who were lying on the ground bleeding from their legs and heads. After this incident, we couldn’t even communicate properly for a long time. But what’s happened today is unfair; justice must be done to all victims’ families,” said the resident of Muhajireen Camp.