In the olden days traders came to Malacca from China, India and Arabia and contributed to its rapid growth. The prosperity of Malacca was soon noticed by the Europeans which resulted in the invasion of Malacca by the Portuguese.
The A’famosa gate stands today as a mute testimony to the grand fort that was built here by the Portuguese in 1511.
It is little more than a crumbling edifice but, in its heyday, the fort was strong enough to protect the city from other European trading companies eyeing the lucrative Malacca area.
The Jesuit missionary Saint Francis Xavier visited Malacca in the 16th century with the hope of spreading Catholicism in this region.
A little known fact is that after he died he was buried at St. Paul’s Hill in Malacca. It was only later that his remains were shifted to Goa where they still rest. Today, one can visit the St Francis Xavier Church which still remains a fully functional church.