Seven killed by car­bon monox­ide fumes

The Jakarta Post - - ARCHIPELAGO -

MALANG: Seven peo­ple died on Thurs­day in the vil­lage hall of Ngadas vil­lage, Malang, East Java, af­ter they were over­come by fumes from a gen­er­a­tor.

The vic­tims, who were la­bor­ers ren­o­vat­ing the vil­lage hall’s of­fice, died of car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing. They were found on Thurs­day morn­ing by a lo­cal res­i­dent who went to wake them up, vil­lage chief Mu­jianto said.

He added that the vic­tims had bor­rowed a gen­er­a­tor from res­i­dents on Wed­nes­day night af­ter the elec­tric­ity went out. He said res­i­dents had told them to open the win­dows or doors when us­ing the de­vice.

Malang Po­lice chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Yade Se­ti­awan Ujung con­firmed the in­ci­dent.

The men, who were not res­i­dents of Ngadas vil­lage, were all found in a sleep­ing po­si­tion, he said. Po­lice took the seven vic­tims to Sai­ful An­war Hos­pi­tal for au­top­sies. — JP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Indonesia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.