It sounds like a birthday prank, but forget about carrots: the humble sprout also makes for a great tasting cake ingredient.
½ tsp cinnamon
100ml vegetable oil
125g self-raising flour
125g Brussels sprouts 30g walnuts
25g dried coconut
½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp vanilla essence
1. Line two 900g/2lb baking tins with silicone paper.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar and oil for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the flour, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla essence and carry on mixing for a further minute.
4. Fold in the grated carrots, Brussels sprouts, walnuts, raisins and dried coconut.
5. Split the mix between the two lined tins and cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
6. The cake can be served on its own, or you might like to enrich it by mixing some natural yoghurt and icing sugar and pouring the mixture over the cake.