BRUSSELS SPROUT AND CHESTNUT SOUP
In this dish you won’t even have to face the Brussels sprouts in their usual round form. Instead, they’re reduced to a mere pulp and mixed with onions, garlic, leeks and potatoes to make a delicious and hearty soup. Never throw away left-over vegetables a
300g Brussels sprouts, trimmed 1 medium onion, chopped 2 white leeks, rinsed and chopped 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced 40g butter 1 litre vegetable stock 100g chestnuts blanched, peeled and crumbled 4 rashers of smoked bacon Double cream for garnish Salt and pepper
1. Sweat the onion and leeks in the butter before adding the sprouts and potatoes.
2. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock and cook for 40 minutes.
4. Pour the soup into a food processor or liquidiser and blend until smooth.
5. Return the soup to the rinsed-out pan, re-heat gently and adjust for seasoning.
6. In the meantime, dice the bacon and cook with a little oil until very crispy.
7. Drain and place the bacon on some paper towel to remove all the grease.
8. Garnish the soup with some of the bacon and chestnut.
9. Finish with a swirl of cream.