14 (1940) PILOT’S WATCH FOR GERMAN ARMY BY IWC, A. LANGE & SÖHNE, LACO, STOWA UND WEMPE
Five manufacturers produced the official pilot’s watch for the German army in the 1940s, which was housed in a robust 55mm case and bore the traditional black dial and white markings of a typically legible aviation watch. It also boasted a riveted leather strap and a huge oignon-style crown so that it could be wound or set while wearing gloves. Collectors and historians agree that this is perhaps the most important historical pilot’s watch, a design that has been reused in the 21st century for a plethora of aviation-style watches. Unfortunately, faithful reproductions of it have also contributed to recent history’s vulgar size hysteria, which has thankfully declined over the last couple of years.