N. Korea hackers in possession of Washington-Seoul war plan: MP
UN imposes global port ban on 4 ships violating N Korea sanctions
A lawmaker in Seoul says North Korean hackers have managed to steal a series of top-secret military documents, including a joint U.S.-South Korean plan for war with Pyongyang.
South Korean Member of Parliament and member of the ruling Democratic party Lee Cheol-hee told local media that the hackers broke into a military data center in September 2016 and stole the most up-to-date blueprint for a military conflict with North Korea, called Operational Plan 5015, Financial Times reported.
Citing the South Korean Defense Ministry, Lee revealed that 235 gigabytes of data were lost in the cyber breach.
A plan for a “decapitation strike,” targeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, was also among the files, according to the report.
The files also included contingency plans for Seoul’s Special Forces as well as information on key military facilities and power plants, the lawmaker said.
The South Korean Defense Ministry has declined to comment on the reports.
The ministry said in May that the North had penetrated Seoul’s military online network, although it did not reveal what was stolen at the time, state-run Yonhap news agency reported.
The United States and its ally South Korea have been at loggerheads with the North over Pyongyang’s weapons and nuclear programs.
North Korea, however, strongly defends its military deterrent against hostility by the US and its regional allies, including South Korea and Japan.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s belligerent rhetoric against Pyongyang has given rise to the tensions on the Korean Peninsula. The two sides have traded a barrage of military threats in recent months, prompting speculations of a looming war in the region.
UN imposes global port ban on 4 ships violating N. Korea sanctions
The United Nations has imposed an international “port ban” on four ships it found violating Security Council (UNSC) sanctions on North Korea, the chair of an expert panel says.
“There are four vessels that have been designated by the committee. The designation doesn’t mean an assets freeze or travel ban, but it’s a port ban,” coordinator of a UNSC panel on North Korea sanctions, Hugh Griffith, said.
Speaking at the conclusion of a UN meeting open to all member states, Griffith further stated that the ships were found “transporting prohibited goods,” pointing out that the measure is “a pretty swift and decisive action by the committee,” adding that the ban went into effect on October 5.
Based on the measures, all nations are banned from allowing four ships transporting prohibited goods to and from the North to enter any port in their country.
AFP cited a source close to the matter as saying that the four ships were detected carrying to North Korea coal, seafood and iron ore, which are exports banned by a UNSC resolution drafted by Washington back in August.
The ban, according to the report, was expanded last month to also include textiles and North Korean guest workers, further capping oil exports to the country, which has in recent months test-launched numerous ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons in response to military threats by the US and its regional allies.
Meanwhile, the report further cited diplomats as saying that North Korean representatives at the UN were in attendance at the meeting but did not speak.
It added that the listed ships were identified as the Petrel 8, Hao Fan 6, Tong San 2 and Jie Shun.
The first three vessels, according to the MarineTraffic website, fly the flags of Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, and North Korea. The Jie Shun, however, is not listed on the site.