Six people killed in suicide attack in Erbil
A car loaded with explosives tried to storm its way into the compound but was fired on by guards, exploding before getting to the building itself
A suicide attack has killed six people in Erbil, the capital of Kurdistan Region. In addition to that, 29 people were also wounded when the attacker tried to drive his vehicle into the governorate building, only to be cut down by guards' gunfire last Wednesday.
Three civilians and two police officers were among the dead immediately, in the first attack to target the city's center in seven months. The number of deaths then increased to six as one of the injured policeman died three days after the attack.
Fighters for the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), who overran expanse of northern Iraq this summer, have repeatedly threatened to launch attacks against Kurdistan, but the region has so far largely managed to insulate itself from the violence.
One day after the attack the Islamic State announced they were behind the attacks.
Hamza Hamid, a spokesman for the Erbil governor, said the attack took place «right in front of the main entrance of the building of Erbil governorate", which is near the citadel.
Nawzad Hadi, Erbil's mayor, told the state-run a Kurdish TV channel that the bomber tried to enter the citadel grounds but failed, so he detonated his explosives-laden car outside the complex.
The properties in the area suffered significant damage and several civilian cars were burned due to the explosion. Governor Hadi said a committee will be formed to compensate the people whose properties were damaged due to the attack.