Sub­lime Carstairs goal earns Red­bank a point


Bray People - - Sport - Daniel GOR­MAN

Red­bank United 1, Round­wood 1: Red­bank United grabbed what was prob­a­bly an un­de­served point from their fierce lo­cal ri­vals Round­wood thanks to a fan­tas­tic sec­ond-half free-kick from their striker An­drew Carstairs last Sun­day morn­ing.

Round­wood had taken a de­served lead in the 20th minute when the pro­lific Tony Con­way tucked away a penalty af­ter his strike part­ner Damian John­son had been chopped down in the box but af­ter Carstairs had evened up the scores the vis­i­tors failed to find a sec­ond goal de­spite huge pres­sure.

Nei­ther side will be too dis­heart­ened about their per­for­mances as they were both brood­ing a lot of new blood and they have both got a point on the board.

It may have been played in pretty mis­er­able con­di­tions but the match got off to a bright start and Round­wood re­ally should have taken the lead on seven min­utes.

Mid­fielder Robert Eyre re­leased his team-mate Damian John­son with a de­li­cious ball over the top but John­son’s fin­ish didn’t match the set up, as he sent his at­tempted lob wide of the tar­get.

Five min­utes later and Thomas Fitz­patrick’s left­footed vol­ley may have looked spec­tac­u­lar but it didn’t trou­ble John Power in the Red­bank goal.

Eight min­utes later how­ever, Power could do noth­ing to stop Round­wood tak­ing the lead from the penalty spot.

A long ball for­ward was par­tially headed away and John­son went to re­trieve the ball but couldn’t, as he was brought down need­lessly by Eoin Mul­rane. Con­way had no trou­ble dis­patch­ing the penalty.

Round­wood then came within inches of dou­bling their lead eight min­utes be­fore the half­time break through Robert Eyre.

A free-kick was tapped to the tall num­ber eight and he un­leashed a vi­cious swerv­ing shot that seemed des­tined for the goal be­fore it can- noned off the in­side of the post and out of harms way.

Twelve min­utes af­ter the half-time break then all Round­wood’s good work came un­done thanks to a fan­tas­tic free-kick from Carstairs.

Af­ter giv­ing away a petty free-kick, Round­wood had eight men in the wall but Carstairs stepped up 25 yards out and curled the ball into the top right hand cor­ner. An au­da­cious 30yard ef­fort from Round­wood’s Luke Fer­gu­son al­most found the net but af­ter the mid­fielder had teed him­self up, his dip­ping shot flew just over the cross­bar.

Both sides then tried their best to find a win­ner but they couldn’t cre­ate a chance un­til the 92nd minute, when John Say­ers left hand cor­ner found John­son un­marked six yards from goal, but the striker couldn’t find the net.

Man of the Match: Thomas Dele­mare (Round­wood). Brings new mean­ing to the term rock solid.

Red­bank United: John Power, Eoin Mul­rane, Noel Power, Ge­orge Power, James O’Con­nor, Enda Ka­vanagh, Bernard Hat­ton, De­clan Carstairs, Val­das Gruse­lions, An­drew Carstairs. Subs not used: Damien Kennedy, Dar­ius Iyaz­mut­dyq, Rob Cullen.

Round­wood: Brian Eyre, Ross Brown, Thomas Dele­mare, Ja­son Walsh ( Sean Leahy 61’), Stephen Smith, Thomas Fitz­patrick, Robert Eyre, Luke Fer­gu­son, Wes­ley Darcy (John Say­ers 45’), Tony Con­way (Derek Lambe 50’), Damian John­son. Subs not used: Gavin Kennedy, Ja­son Gaffney.

Round­wood, who played out a 1-1 draw against Red­bank United.

Red­bank United, who shared the spoils against Round­wood.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.