Myler’s first Bray goal sinks UCD

Bray People - - Sport - Daniel GOR­MAN

Bray Wan­der­ers 2, UCD 1: It may have been at the third time of ask­ing but Ed­die Gorm­ley’s Bray Wan­der­ers fi­nally man­aged to beat UCD af­ter show­ing great spirit to come from a goal be­hind with Andy Myler’s first goal in a Bray shirt prov­ing to be the late win­ner.

The only pos­i­tive for Ed­die Gorm­ley as re­gards squad news was the re­turn of Chris O’Con­nor from his in­ter­na­tional duty in Bei­jing, where he had been rep­re­sent­ing Aus­tralia at the Olympics. There was no place in the squad for ‘Skippy’ how­ever, and he was joined in the stands by Ray Kenny (sus­pended) and Kevin Do­herty (dead leg) mean­ing mid­fielder Gavin Whe­lan had to do a shift as a makeshift cen­tre-half.

A timid first-half was played out in front of a sparse crowd, with most seem­ingly opt­ing to watch Manch­ester United take on Zenit St Peters­burg and it looked like the play­ers wanted to be some­where else also dur­ing the firsthalf, with only one shot on tar­get pro­duced by the two sides.

In the 19th minute Conor Kenna played a great ball over the top which Derek Pen­der ap­peared to have cov­ered be­fore Dar­ren Meenan burst by him in a blaze and took the ball into the box. He then opened up his body as he at­tempted to squeeze the ball by Alan Gough but the vet­eran had come out and was able to block away the striker’s ef­fort with his feet.

Bray then had a big shout for a penalty nine min­utes later af­ter some neat in­ter-play re­sulted in Paddy Ka­vanagh fir­ing at goal but his ef­fort came off the hand of Kenna and ref­eree Tom Con­nolly ig­nored the claims, which was prob­a­bly the right de­ci­sion as a penalty would have been ex­tremely harsh.

Bray then cre­ated a chance of their own 13 min­utes be­fore half­time when Alan Caw­ley’s left wing cor­ner was met by Derek Fo­ran and al­though the young­ster had out-jumped his man, his header was a poor one and he failed to grab his sec­ond goal for his club.

The first-half may have started with a whim­per, but the sec­ond most cer­tainly started with a bang with the vis­i­tors scor­ing af­ter just two min­utes of the sec­ond-half.

Alan Mahon made his dad Pete proud with a neat ball for­ward which Dar­ren Meenan flicked over the head of Fo­ran be­fore fir­ing a lovely dip­ping ef­fort over the head of Alan Gough from 25 yards to give his side what was prob­a­bly a de­served lead.

Bray al­most fought back straight away when Ai­dan O’Keefe fired a low cross into the box but his strike part­ner Ger Rowe blasted over from 15 yards.

The home side then be­gan putting huge pres­sure on their rel­e­ga­tion threat­ened op­po­nents and it was hard to be­lieve they would hold out and col­lect the three points and they didn’t, with Bray equal­iz­ing on 68 min­utes.

Alan Caw­ley played a short cor­ner to Mark Dug­gan be­fore get­ting the ball back and giv­ing it to the young­ster once again. Dug­gan then looked up and whipped in a su­perb left footed cross that Paddy Ka­vanagh ghosted in at the back post to nod in de­spite a de­fender’s best in­ten­tions and Bray had scored their first goal at home in a com­pet­i­tive game since May.

Wan­der­ers then upped the tempo once more and Jake Kelly, who has come up through the ranks at Bray, had two chances to im­press his boss.

First, on 76 min­utes, Gary Cronin clipped a ball into the box from a deep po­si­tion and Kelly ar­rived just in time to get a touch to the ball but he failed to di­rect it goal­wards.

Then, two min­utes later, he was re­leased through the heart of the UCD de­fence and with just Matt Gregg to beat, the young­ster dragged his left footed ef­fort wide of the goal.

Kelly’s strike part­ner has been around the blocks how­ever and his ex­pe­ri­ence showed when he took his chance on 80 min­utes, reg­is­ter­ing his first ever goal of the club.

Alan Caw­ley sent in a search­ing cross from the right and al­though Andy Myler isn’t the fastest player to ever grace the Carlisle Grounds, he was alert enough to nip in ahead of every­one else at the near post and glance the ball be­yond Gregg and into the back of the net.

Bray then held out for the last ten min­utes to se­cure a mas­sive three points which should now surely se­cure their Premier Divi­sion sta­tus for an­other year.

Man of the Match: Gavin Whe­lan (Bray Wan­der­ers). Asked to do a job at cen­tre half and he cer­tainly did just that.

Bray Wan­der­ers: Alan Gough 6, Derek Pen­der 7, Derek Fo­ran 6, Gavin Whe­lan 7, Gary Cronin 6, Paddy Ka­vanagh 7, Daryl Rob­son 6 ( Colm Tres­son 6 77’), Alan Caw­ley 6, Mark Dug­gan 7, Ai­dan O’Keefe 6 (Jake Kelly 6 62’), Ger Rowe 6 (Andy Myler 7 62’). Subs not used: Gareth Cough­lan, Gabriel Sava.

UCD: Matt Gregg 6, Alan Mahon 7, Alan McNally 6, Evan McMil­lan 6, Conor Kenna 7, Shane Fitzger­ald 6, Shane Dug­gan 6, Brian King 7, Pa­trick McWal­ter 6, Timmy Pur­cell 7, Dar­ren Meenan 7. Subs not used: Shane McFaul, Greg Bul­ger, John Reilly, Brian Shor­tall, Billy Bren­nan.

Ref­eree: Tom Con­nolly.

Paddy Ka­vanagh, who scored Bray’s open­ing goal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.