King puts in a royal dis­play for En­niskerry

Bray People - - Sport -

En­niskerry 2-8, Kil­macanogue 1- 11: En­niskerry, but per­haps more ac­cu­rately Alan King, all but ended Kil­mac’s cham­pi­onship hopes for an­other year as the full-for­ward put Kil­mac to the sword by turn­ing in a royal per­for­mance in pleas­ant con­di­tions last Thurs­day night in Round­wood, writes Daniel Gor­man.

JAFC The match, which had been sched­uled for a few weeks be­fore­hand be­fore be­ing called off due to atro­cious con­di­tions couldn’t have been tighter, with the sides be­ing level on no less than eight oc­ca­sions as the old ri­vals pro­duced a very en­ter­tain­ing game of foot­ball.

It was the Divi­sion 2 side that started the brighter and took an early two-point lead, when first Seán Doyle, who re­turned home from Eng­land for the game, fired neatly over the cross­bar be­fore he was then on hand to help set up his cap­tain Stephen ‘Moggy’ Mor­gan whose left-footed ef­fort flew over to dou­ble his sides lead.

King then showed a first glimpse of his class af­ter he evaded the tackle of his marker be­fore send­ing the ball over and then a few min­utes later he was al­lowed to skip by two op­po­nents be­fore find­ing the back of the net to give his side the lead for the first time in the match.

The pow­er­house that is Mor­gan then clawed a score back with a fine long-range left- footed ef­fort be­fore two min­utes later young­ster Ian Mor­ris’s free-kick evened up the scores.

There was then a fran­tic spell of scor­ing in a short space of time with En­niskerry’s Mark Tyn­dall grab­bing three points from frees and Mor­ris and Doyle also con­vert­ing chances for their side to leave the scores at 1-4 to 0-6 in En­niskerry’s favour at the break.

The sec­ond-half con­tin­ued in much of the same vein as the first, tight but en­ter­tain­ing and it was Kil­mac who put the first scores on the score­board with Moggy’s free-kick fly­ing over the bar be­fore the cen­tre half for­ward set up the goal for his side min­utes later.

Af­ter Jimmy Caplice had been pe­nalised for hold­ing onto the ball, Mor­gan blasted the ball into the dan­ger zone and af­ter be­ing bro­ken down, the ball was even­tu­ally scram­bled over the line with mid­fielder Christy Fox re­veal­ing af­ter the game he was the man to get the fi­nal touch.

It took En­niskerry only six min­utes to level the scores with Tyn­dall adding three more points to his tally, all from frees.

The swings and round­abouts con­tin­ued when Doyle and Mor­gan re­stored Kil­mac’s two-point lead but then it was time for King to strike again.

A quick free in be­hind the static Kil­mac de­fence caught the im­pres­sive Craig O’Neill short for once and King took full ad­van­tage, col­lect­ing the ball be­fore once again find­ing the net with a fe­ro­cious ef­fort.

With just ten min­utes left on the clock it was any­body’s game and Fox grabbed his sec­ond score of the game to leave the scores at 2-7 to 1-10.

Time was tick­ing by and the chance to be­come a hero was slowly fad­ing but with three min­utes left to play, King scored what looked like the winning score but as he has on so many oc­ca­sions, Stephen Mor­gan saved the day for his side.

Af­ter play­ing a short one-two with An­thony Doyle from a side­line ball, Mor­gan thumped the ball mag­nif­i­cently goal-wards and it flew over the bar.

The ref­eree’s whis­tle to sig­nal the end of the match proved to be some­what of an anti-cli­max, but for ei­ther side to lose this thrilling con­test would have been very harsh.

En­niskerry: Alex Bursey, Colm Nu­gent, Gary Ka­vanagh, Sea­mus O’Gor­man, David Caplice, Domh­nall Finch, Benny Do­ran, Bryan Gib­son, Craig Wil­liams, Mark Tyn­dall (0-6, 6 frees), Ger Driver, Stu­art Tyn­dall, Jimmy Caplice, Alan King (2-2), Robert Tyn­dall. Subs. - Billy O’Neill, Gavin Bar­ton.

Kil­macanogue: Shane Vick­ers, Cor­mac Doyle, Dar­ragh Walsh, Michael Creavin, An­thony Doyle, Craig O’Neill, Bob O’Don­nell, Christy Fox (1-1), Mark King, Kevin Red­den, Stephen Mor­gan ( 0- 5, 2 frees), Seán Doyle (0-3), Ian Mor­ris ( 0- 2, 2 frees), An­drew Mol­loy, Ryan Lav­ery. Subs. - Tom Byrne, Si­mon Doyle, Daryl Tighe, Stephen Ka­vanagh, Tom Red­den.

Ref­eree: P. Hickey.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.