’Stones lose out


Bray People - - Sport -

Lans­downe 30, Grey­stones 10: There was some con­cern dur­ing the week that due to the heavy rain­fall this Le­in­ster Se­nior League Cup game might not go ahead but this proved to be ground­less as the pitch was in im­mac­u­late con­di­tion with both sides serv­ing up a fine game.

Grey­stones started the brighter of the two teams with their pack se­cur­ing good pos­ses­sion and their back­line giv­ing us a taste of what they do best, run the ball with close sup­port play.

On ten min­utes a line-out won by Stu­art Ab­bott and tapped down to scrum-half Dave Pop­plewell gave out-half Mark Geraghty the op­por­tu­nity to release his back­line, with a clever pass in­side pass to on­rush­ing full-back Dave McKech­nie. Mak­ing twenty me­tres, he un­loaded to right wing Ro­nan Car­roll who set off down the mid­dle and was just stopped short of the line, how­ever the touch judge had sig­nalled for an ear­lier in­fring­ment and a penalty was awarded.

Geraghty, from the twenty-two landed the re­sul­tant kick to put Grey­stones into a three point lead.

Five min­utes later and an­other penalty against the home team saw Geraghty on this oca­sion nar­rowly miss.

Af­ter a slow start Lans­downe were now beginning to get their game to­gether and af­ter some good in­ter-play down the right hand side, sec­ond row Ross Liber­man crashed over in the cor­ner to fin­ish what was a well worked team try, with out-half Charles Ooesthuizen adding the con­ver­sion to put them into a seven points to three lead. With a minute to go in the half, Ooesthuizen knocked over a penalty when a Grey­stones player was pe­nalised at a ruck, giv­ing them a half-time lead of 10-3.

The sec­ond pe­riod re­sumed with the home team hav­ing a slight wind ad­van­tage and with some good po­si­tional kick­ing, they were soon in Grey­stones ter­ri­tory. Within the space of ten min­utes Stones were fur­ther be­hind, con­ced­ing two penal­ties to ex­tend their lead to 16-3.

How­ever, Grey­stones soon shook off their pre­vi­ous tar­di­ness and con­trived and put to­gether the try of the day.

Lans­downe were deep in­side the Grey­stones twenty-two, when good counter ruck­ing by Dan Kenny and Stu Ab­bott turned over the ball, cen­tre Conor Cleary, from ten me­tres short of his line, threw a good pass to Dave McKech­nie who started his run, as he ad­vanced just out­side the twen­tytwo he un­loaded to left wing Seán Car­roll who, al­most hug­ging the touch­line charged for­ward, cut­ting slightly in­side he then went back to­wards the the touch­line fend­ing off two would be tack­les, cut­ting back in­side again he made it to the Lans­downe twenty two and with their cover com­ing ac­cross, he passed back to his left where Cleary had taken up the wing slot, he took the well timed pass and touched down close in to the posts to score the try with Geraghty adding the two points to draw them to within six points of the hosts.

How­ever, with ten min­utes to go Grey­stones sealed their own faith, con­ced­ing two easy tries off their own er­rors.

A poor clear­ance on their own line saw Ooesthuizen pick up the eas­i­est of tries which he then con­verted and with al­most the last play, a silly at­tempt to grub­ber kick from cen­tre Frank Jones, on his own line, saw Lans­downe’s Paul Sym­ming­ton pick up and score with again Ooesthuizen hav­ing the eas­i­est of con­verts to sig­nal the end of a very good game.

Next week Grey­stones are away to UCD in The Bowl, where a win is es­sen­tial if they are to progress, as only one team go through from each group.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.