Carnew come out on top in bat­tle of the big guns

Bray People - - Sport - Mark KENNEDY

Carnew 1-13, Glenealy 1-10: Games be­tween the hurlers of Carnew and Glenealy are in­vari­ably teak-tough, ti­tanic con­tests and this Se­nior cham­pi­onship game at Aughrim at the week­end was no ex­cep­tion.

Re­sults and cham­pi­onship ti­tles switch sides from year to year and on this oc­ca­sion it was the turn of Carnew to cel­e­brate a tight victory over the de­fend­ing cham­pi­ons af­ter a game that went right down to the wire.

Twice in the open­ing half Glenealy drew level with their op­po­nents but at no time did they suc­ceed in get­ting their nose in front of a Carnew team that dis­played the greater hunger, pas­sion, re­silience and re­solve on this oc­ca­sion.

Lead­ing by just one point, 1-6 to 15 at the break, Carnew struck out for victory to­wards the end of the third quar­ter, with three unan­swered points by Don Hy­land from two frees and the other from full-for­ward Joe Mur­phy in a five-minute spell open­ing up a four point gap 110 to 1-6, a lead they stoutly de­fended right to the fi­nal whis­tle with some bril­liant stonewall de­fen­sive play.

Both teams went into this group game un­beaten but as a re­sult of this win Carnew, with just one match re­main­ing against Ark­low Rock Parnells, are in pole po­si­tion to lift the league ti­tle for 2008 as well as take the au­to­matic po­si­tion in the cham­pi­onship fi­nal.

Carnew posted their fierce in­tent to turn the ta­bles on the ‘reds’ in­side 30 sec­onds when Joe Mur­phy had their open­ing points af­ter tak­ing a pass in­side from Don Hy­land who emerged as their top scored yet again.

While Leighton Glynn, who lined out at cor­ner-for­ward for Glenealy, equalised three min­utes later from a line ball, it was Carnew who were set­ting the early pace. Timmy Collins whipped over the lead points af­ter be­ing set up by his mid­fielder Brian Os­borne from the puck-out and they went on to lead by 1-3 to 01 af­ter ten min­utes.

Glenealy’s stylish cen­tre-back Trevor McGrath, who showed his class with an­other fine dis­play, nipped in to make a good clear­ance from a prob­ing line ball from Timmy Collins; while Carnew’s full-back Em­met O’Sul­li­van cleared un­der pres­sure at the other end, a fea­ture of his gutsy play on many oc­ca­sions through­out this match.

The Do­ran broth­ers, Der­mot at wing-back and Gary at wing-for­ward had huge games for Carnew. In the sev­enth minute Der­mot lofted over a mighty point from 80 me­tres, with mid­fielder Brian Os­borne the provider once more.

A minute later Don Hy­land picked out his cen­tre-for­ward with an invit­ing ball across the face of the Glenealy goal and Thomas Kennedy ap­plied the clin­i­cal fin­ish when flick­ing to the net from the edge of the square.

Be­hind 1-3 to 0-1, Glenealy stepped up their game in the sec­ond quar­ter. Alan Diver scored a great point when on his knees in the six­teenth minute. Two min­utes later Carnew’s Joe Mur­phy made a spec­tac­u­lar aerial catch to set up Thomas Kennedy for an an­swer­ing point, but it was the ‘reds’ who con­tin­ued to gain ground.

Jonathan O’Neill pumped a line ball into the left cor­ner for Alan Driver who was fouled on the 20 me­tre line. Bosco duly obliged with a Glenealy point from the free – one of his trade­marks in most matches. Leighton Glynn tacked on an­other point be­fore link­ing up with Jonathan O’Neill to ham­mer home a goal that brought the sides level on 30 min­utes at 1-5 apiece.

Carnew’s Em­mett O’Sul­li­van de­liv­ered an­other of his long-re­liev­ing clear­ances, which was snapped up to supreme preda­tor Don Hy­land for the lead point for Carnew.

In a last Glenealy as­sault be­fore half-time, Carnew’s ‘keeper Ted Kennedy brought off a cou­ple of su­per saves from sting­ing shots from Leighton Glynn and Jonathan O’Neill, and his full-back Em­mett O’Sul­li­van dis­played Her­culean de­fence to keep the men from the Wex­ford bor­der ahead by 1-6 to 1-5 at half-time.

In the open­ing five min­utes of the sec­ond-half Glenealy’s Gavin Byrne ex­changed points with Don Hy­land and then the ‘ reds’ just missed a chance of a goal in a move in­volv­ing Bosco O’Neill, Gavin Byrne and Leighton Glynn, a ball from the left fin­ish­ing wide at the far side.

Be­tween the ninth and four­teenth min­utes, Carnew struck out for three unan­swered points by Don Hy­land from two frees and Joe Mur­phy to es­tab­lish a four-point cush­ion be­fore the end of the third quar­ter – 1-10 to 1-6 – a lead they res­o­lutely de­fended right to the end de­spite the ex­pected rally and fight­back by their op­po­nents.

Em­mett O’Sul­li­van lost his hur­ley but threw him­self bod­ily in the way of a Glenealy op­po­nent taken aim for a point. It worked as the Glenealy man was knocked out of his stroke and the ball went wide. Der­mot Do­ran also got in a great block at the right time, and the re­sult was Glenealy had to work over­time for mea­gre re­turns on the score­board.

Carnew goalie Ted Kennedy took the slio­thar off his goal-line and then made an­other top drawer save from Alan Driver’s scorch­ing shot.

On 51 min­utes Don Hy­land stretched Carnew’s lead to five, 1-11 to 1-6, but Glenealy just would not show the white flag of sur­ren­der.

In­stead Jonathan O’Neill raised four white flags with a point from a penalty and three frees, two of them in in­jury-time, to keep the re­sult in the melt­ing pot right to the fi­nal whis­tle.

Scor­ers for Carnew were: Don Hy­land (0-5), Thomas Kennedy (1-1), Joe Mur­phy (0-2), Der­mot Do­ran (02), Timmy Collins, TJ Hen­nessy and Brian Os­borne (0-1 each).

Glenealy scor­ers: Leighton Glynn (1-2), Jonathan O’Neill (0-6), Alan Driver and Gavin Byrne (0-1 each).

Out­num­bered by the Carnew de­fence, Glenealy's Leighton Glynn is chal­lenged by Carnew's Em­met O'Sul­li­van.

Carnew's Liam Kennedy and Glenealy's Leighton Glynn bat­tle for pos­ses­sion.

Carnew's Mark Collins and Glenealy's Alan Driver bat­tle for the ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.