Glenealy romp to victory against old ri­vals Carnew

Bray People - - Sport - Mark KENNEDY

Glenealy 0-15, Carnew 0-8: Glenealy romped to the In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship ti­tle on Satur­day as the chal­lenge of old ri­vals Carnew faded in the sec­ond-half of this fi­nal at Ark­low.

In the open­ing 30 min­utes Carnew matched their op­po­nents stroke for stroke and there was lit­tle or noth­ing be­tween the sides at the break as Glenealy re­tired with a slen­der two-point ad­van­tage 0-8 to 0-6.

How­ever, on the change over it be­came abun­dantly clear that the men from the Wex­ford bor­der lacked the fit­ness and skills lev­els of Glenealy who were pow­ered to victory by their ea­gle-eyed sharp­shooter Keith Snell, the scorer of nine points of their to­tal from play and frees.

In cel­e­brat­ing be­ing crowned In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­ons for 2009, there’s a down side to the victory as they are pre­vented from par­tic­i­pat­ing in the Le­in­ster Club com­pe­ti­tion by a rule which says that In­ter­me­di­ate teams of Se­nior clubs are in­el­i­gi­ble to par­tic­i­pate.

Just af­ter the off, Carnew’s goalie Philip Ros­ney had to deal with a tricky ball un­der the cross bar from op­pos­ing mid­fielder Rory O’Neill be­fore cen­tre for­ward John Ka­vanagh won a free at the other end, thus cre­at­ing the op­por­tu­nity for the open­ing point for Michael Collins from a free af­ter three min­utes.

In­deed the first-half was very much a bat­tle be­tween the sharp­shoot­ers and free tak­ers with Carnew’s Collins on tar­get for his team on four oc­ca­sions, just one point less than recorded by Glenealy’s Keith Snell in the open­ing pe­riod.

Carnew had the bet­ter start, how­ever, as Michael Wally Collins gave them an early two points lead.

Wing-for­ward Jack Ka­vanagh opened for Glenealy in the sixth minute with a fine point from the stand side­line and he re­peated the feat two min­utes later, his lev­eller the per­fect fin­ish to the good work of in­flu­en­tial cen­tre-back Alan De­laney and cor­ner-for­ward Snell.

We wit­nessed some good, en­ter­tain­ing hurl­ing from both teams in the first-half with Carnew fin­ish­ing strongly in the last ten min­utes af­ter Glenealy had forged 0-6 to 0-2 ahead af­ter 20 min­utes with fur­ther scores from Snell and Jack Ka­vanagh.

Apart from the free-tak­ing ex­ploits of Collins and cen­tre-for­ward John Ka­vanagh, Carnew lacked suf­fi­cient fire-power in at­tack but they de­fended well and made Glenealy work for their scores.

In the clos­ing ten min­utes of the half Collins and John Ka­vanagh shared four Carnew points be­tween them, thereby re­duc­ing the mar­gin be­tween the teams to a minis­cule two points, 0-8 to 0-2, at the mid­way stage.

Af­ter the restart Glenealy’s Billy Byrne went oh so close to bag­ging a goal, but saw his flick on De­clan Con­yard’s re­liev­ing clear­ance out of de­fence slide past Philip Ros­ney’s right hand post.

On 39 min­utes, Keith Snell pointed a ‘65’ to stretch Glenealy’s lead to three. Two min­utes later he raised the white flag again, this time from a closer free. But at the other end the in­ad­e­qua­cies of the Carnew at­tack, al­lied to the shack­ling power of the Glenealy backs, was un­der­pinned as the losers were re­stricted to just two more points in the sec­ond half.

At the end of the third quar­ter An­thony Driver fin­ished off a good solo run with a point and Glenealy were now ahead 0-11 to 0-6. Keith Snell made it twelve points for the win­ners on 50 min­utes as he con­verted an­other ‘65’.

Carnew did not have their first score of the sec­ond half un­til nine min­utes from the end, again Michael Collins was the provider from a free, but with Joe and An­thony Driver re­spond­ing im­me­di­ately for Glenealy it never looked as if the men from the Wex­ford bor­der were go­ing to be able to reel in their op­po­nent’s lead.

Be­hind 0-14 to 0-7 en­ter­ing the clos­ing mo­ments, Michael Sul­li­van tried to blast a goal from a 20 me­tre free but the shot was blocked. He then lobbed a ‘65’ into the goal­mouth, Niall Os­borne at­tempted to kick the slio­thar to the net from the edge of the square, but again the Glenealy de­fence stood firm.

The only re­ward for Carnew was a sec­ond point by Niall Os­borne deep in in­jury-time - too lit­tle, too late to stop Glenealy from de­servedly tak­ing the In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing ti­tle.

Scor­ers for Glenealy were: Keith Snell (0-9, seven frees and two 65s), Jack Ka­vanagh (0-3), An­thony Driver (0-2), Joe Driver (0-1).

Carnew scor­ers: Michael Collins (0-5, four frees), John Ka­vanagh (02), Niall Os­borne (0-1).

- 2008 Herbst In­ter­me­di­ate Hurl­ing Cham­pi­ons at Ark­low on Satur­day.

Joe Driver keeps his eyes on the ball.

Ja­son Mol­loy and Keith Snell bat­tle for pos­ses­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.