Seag­ulls’ cup dream ended by Gal­way Utd

Bray People - - Sport - by Daniel Gor­man

AF­TER BE­ING made to sit through this ‘ per­for­mance’ from Bray Wan­der­ers, you would be for­given for think­ing it is they who oc­cupy last place in the Eir­com League.

Af­ter be­ing made to sit through this ‘ per­for­mance’ from Bray Wan­der­ers, you would be for­given for think­ing this match was a friendly match and not a path to the semi-fi­nals of the FAI Ford Cup, such was the lack of pas­sion on show.

Af­ter be­ing made to sit through this ‘ per­for­mance’ from Bray Wan­der­ers, you would not be for­given for think­ing Bray Wan­der­ers are a club on the rise.

Bray were made to look like a bunch of am­a­teurs on Tues­day night and as one spec­ta­tor was heard to say: ‘The fact that they get paid for that is a dis­grace.’

Jay O’Shea and co. hu­mil­i­ated Bray in this drab af­fair and vir­tu­ally ended the sea­side club’s sea­son and al­though the fin­ger will mostly be pointed at Ed­die Gorm­ley, the man­ager can’t be held re­spon­si­ble for his side’s in­abil­ity to pass the ball and they should need no mo­ti­va­tion for such a big match.

Gorm­ley made two changes to the side that had earned the re­play, with Mark Dug­gan, who was sus­pended for that game, and Kevin Do­herty com­ing in for Ai­dan O’Keefe and Daryl Rob­son.

It was the star man Jay O’Shea who was re­spon­si­ble for cre­at­ing the first op­por­tu­nity of the game with four min­utes gone, beat­ing his man with con­sum­mate ease be­fore his low drive was palmed away by Alan Gough. The vet­eran only suc­ceeded in di­vert­ing the ball into Dan­ish striker Jes­per Jor­gensen’s path, but the shot stop­per re­cov­ered in time to block Jor­gensen’s 12 yard strike.

The next chance ar­rived on 28 min­utes, with Jor­gensen play­ing the ball over the top of Bray’s static de­fence for John Lester, who let the ball bounce be­fore smash­ing a half-vol­ley over the cross­bar from ten yards.

The goal that Gal­way de­served then ar­rived on 37 min­utes, and the man at the heart of it was none other then for­mer Bray favourite Jay O’Shea. The num­ber 19 col­lected the ball out on the left and af­ter leav­ing Kevin Do­herty for dead, the young­ster danced his way into a great shoot­ing po­si­tion and af­ter open­ing up his body, curled his right-footed ef­fort off the post.

For­tu­nately for the Tribes­men how­ever his ef­fort fell kindly to Jonathan Keane who didn’t hes­i­tate in fir­ing the ball into the roof of the net from eight yards for his first goal for the club. As if this wasn’t bad enough news for the Wick­low side, cap­tain Alan Caw­ley and Gary Cronin had to be pulled apart by ref­eree Alan Kelly and Ray Kenny af­ter the two be­gan squar­ing up and ex­changed some harsh words. Caw­ley then failed to emerge from the dress­ing room for the sec­ond-half, with Gorm­ley haul­ing the mid­fielder off and re­plac­ing him with Daryl Rob­son.

United’s goal­keeper Gary Rogers should prob­a­bly have been forced to pay into the match, as he was no more then a spec­ta­tor for the whole of the first-half and Bray needed to change things and change things dras­ti­cally.

There was no let up at the start of the sec­ond­half how­ever for the Bray de­fence as with only three min­utes gone O’Shea sent in a low cross from right which Jor­gensen con­trolled be­fore turn­ing and fir­ing nar­rowly wide.

Five min­utes later though and the doom and gloom at the Carlisle Grounds was dou­bled when Gal­way dou­bled their lead cour­tesy of a quick coun­ter­at­tack.

John Rus­sell sent Jor­gensen racing down the left wing and the Dane spot­ted O’Shea had peeled off his man so he sent the ball into the ver­sa­tile man’s path and O’Shea showed nerves of steel, send­ing his low drive from the edge of the box just be­yond the dive of Alan Gough and leave it nestling in the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

Bray Wan­der­ers then thought they had a penalty on 59 min­utes af­ter he forced his way past his man and as he looked set to shoot, he was brought down by right back Sea­mus Con­neely. Alan Kelly then seemed to point to the spot but he was in fact in­di­cat­ing that Gal­way were to play on, much to Bray fan’s dis­ap­point­ment.

Three min­utes on and again O’Shea caused the Bray de­fence prob­lems af­ter col­lect­ing a throw in from the left, as he sent in a danger­ous in swinger which John Rus­sell lunged at from just six yards out but he couldn’t make a de­cent con­nec­tion and if he had, it surely would have been 3-0.

On 70 min­utes mid­field work­horse Ciarán Fo­ley also came close af­ter O’Shea had cut in from the right wing be­fore find­ing his team­mate and the num­ber seven made some room for him­self be­fore drilling the ball straight at Gough from 12 yards.

With 20 min­utes left on the clock, Gal­way seemed con­tent to see out the re­main­der of the game while Bray, who threw Kevin Do­herty up front in at­tempt to make some­thing hap­pen, just couldn’t cre­ate any­thing de­spite putting the pres­sure on.

Gal­way United de­servedly march on, while Bray Wan­der­ers’ sea­son is all but over.

Man of the Match: Jay O’Shea (Gal­way United). If Gal­way United are rel­e­gated this sea­son, this man will surely be snapped up by one of the big­ger clubs. Ter­ror­ized the Bray de­fence and his bag of tricks were a joy to be­hold.

Gavin Whe­lan of Bray Wan­der­ers tries to get away from Levi Tier­ney of Gal­way United dur­ing their FAI Ford Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.