Carnew con­tinue their winning ways


Bray People - - Sport - Peter KEOGH

Carnew 3-9, Kil­bride 0-10: What­ever was to hap­pen else­where in a tight fin­ish to the In­ter­me­di­ate foot­ball cham­pi­onship there was go­ing to be no slip by the favourites – and no fairy­tale end­ing for the un­der­dogs at Balt­in­glass on Fri­day night. Robert Doyle’s pep-talk be­fore the ‘off’ told us that much.

Goals at cru­cial times gave Carnew victory over Kil­bride and saw them top their group and go straight into the fi­nal. In an in­cred­i­ble fin­ish to the League four teams were fight­ing it out for the last place in the semi-fi­nals. Score dif­fer­ence was go­ing to be al­limpor­tant so the last three matches had to be played at the same time at dif­fer­ent venues.

Carnew were through any­way but needed to beat Kil­bride to be sure of fin­ish­ing on top of the ta­ble and the man­ager was mak­ing sure they were fully fired-up for the task on hand. A win for Kil­bride could have put them into a three-way bat­tle for that one qual­i­fy­ing spot.

Two points by Seánie Kin­sella got Carnew off to a great start but Kil­bride came back with points by Niall Dono­hue and Ciarán Jones.

Joe Mur­phy pointed a free for Carnew but Ciarán Jones had an­other Kil­bride point and the sides were level af­ter 18 min­utes.

Wing-back Brian Os­borne pow­ered through for a great goal on 20 min­utes and Carnew were in front to stay.

Around the field a lively Kil­bride team were winning a lot of ball and were putting a lot of pres­sure on the Carnew de­fence.

Two points by Ciarán Jones left only a point be­tween the sides again but with a minute to go to half-time Owen Cole­man struck for Carnew’s sec­ond killer goal.

Wing-back Martin Donoghue closed the first-half scor­ing with a good point for Kil­bride but the Wex­ford bor­der side went in lead­ing by 2-3 to 0-6 at half-time.

Ciarán Jones boxed over an early point in the sec­ond-half to leave two be­tween the sides and for a time it looked as if Kil­bride could still get the win they needed.

How­ever, points by Owen Cole­man (2), Brian Os­borne and Timmy Collins saw Carnew pull away again.

Kil­bride staged a late rally and points by Paul Keogh, Jones and Mick Kelly saw them cut the deficit again.

Carnew were not to be de­nied; the ever re­li­able Joe Mur­phy pointed a free and when sub John Ka­vanagh struck for their third goal it was all over.

The Carnew de­fence was very sound and left no way through for the goal that Kil­bride so badly needed. Vinny Fla­herty did a good job of mark­ing on the danger­ous Ciarán Jones while Wil­lie Collins, just back af­ter a long lay-off; Mark Collins, and Shane Doyle were equally good. Teenager Brian Os­borne gave a man of the match dis­play in the No. 7 jer­sey, scored one of the best goals wit­nessed at the venue this year and added a point when it was most needed in the sec­ond-half.

Carnew did not have their ex­pected su­pe­ri­or­ity at mid­field, mostly be­cause the pace of Pa­trick Donoghue and Niall Too­lis caused them prob­lems. All six Carnew for­wards had their mo­ments with Seánie Kin­sella the early star and Owen Cole­man tak­ing over that role in the sec­ond-half. Gra­ham Keogh was back for his first foot­ball cham­pi­onship match since his bad in­jury at work.

Kil­bride put up a good show and on this form will have no trou­ble in hold­ing on to their place in the grade. Austin Tis­dale, Diar­muid Haugh­ian and two very lively wing-backs Martin and Niall Donoghue were best in de­fence. Ciarán Jones was again their top scorer up front.

Carnew lost their goalie Ted Kennedy with a ham­string in­jury early on but his po­si­tion was filled more than ad­e­quately by that vet­eran of many bat­tles John Joe My­ers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.