Ex­cel­lent dis­play by Bray but Bohs show their class

Bray People - - Sport - Daniel O’GOR­MAN

Bo­hemi­ans 2, Bray Wan­der­ers 1: One of their best per­for­mances of the sea­son from Bray Wan­der­ers didn’t spoil the party for Bo­hemi­ans last Fri­day night, who will have to wait an­other week at least to lift the Premier Divi­sion ti­tle af­ter Pat’s beat Finn Harps 1-0.

The only change Ed­die Gorm­ley made to his start­ing team was an en­forced one, with Alan Caw­ley com­ing in for the sus­pended Derek Pen­der. This meant Gary Cronin re­verted to his more fa­mil­iar role at left-back and for­mer Gypsy Mark Dug­gan shifted out to the left wing from cen­tral mid­field. Ray Kenny was handed the cap­tain’s arm­band.

The first 15 min­utes didn’t go ac­cord­ing to the script, with the vis­i­tors clearly on top and play­ing some lovely foot­ball at times and even hav­ing the cheek to cre­ate a few chances.

Two min­utes hadn’t passed when Do­herty found Kelly in the penalty area. The young­ster tried to work an an­gle for the shot but in­stead he tried to tee up Mark Dug­gan a few yards out but the Bohs de­fence snuffed out the dan­ger.

But the Cham­pi­ons-elect showed their su­pe­rior qual­ity for the re­main­der of the half.

The ex­pe­ri­enced Ray Kenny didn’t hear Alan Gough’s shout of ‘No Ray’ and he al­lowed the ball to glance off the back of his head so that the goal­keeper could pick it up.

Un­for­tu­nately for Kenny Gough was warn­ing him that Glen Crowe had drifted in be­hind him and Crowe showed his preda­tory skills to nip in and beat Gough with a su­perb fin­ish and send Da­ly­mount Park wild.

The Dublin­ers should have dou­bled their lead just min­utes later when a fan­tas­tic ball over the top re­leased for­mer Bray favourite Ja­son Byrne. Byrne, a first cousin of Liver­pool’s Rob­bie Keane, couldn’t match the pass with a fin­ish though as his low ef­fort was blocked away by the legs of Gough. Byrne then fed the re­bound to Crowe but his ef­fort was wide of the tar­get.

Rob­son then was is­sued his first yel­low card of the night when he hauled down Owen Heary as the home side pre­pared to launch a counter at­tack.

On 31 min­utes Mindaugas Kalonas had the beat­ing of Gary Cronin be­fore flash­ing his shot wide and a minute later Ja­son Byrne smashed a Do­herty clear­ance at goal but Alan Caw­ley bravely blocked six yards out.

Alan Gough then al­most went one fur­ther than Brian Mur­phy when he at­tempted to find Do­her- ty but had his pass stopped by the head of Byrne but there was no harm done as Gough re­cov­ered the ball.

Three min­utes later a fran­tic twenty sec­ond spell in which Byrne had two great chances should have re­sulted in a goal but heroic blocks from Bray play­ers kept the score at 1-0.

Just as Gorm­ley thought he was go­ing to get his side into the half time break with a one goal deficit, Bo­hemi­ans struck again.

Byrne whipped in the cor­ner form the left and af­ter Gough had failed to gather it, Stephen McGuin­ness was left with the re­spon­si­bil­ity of head­ing the ball into the un­guarded net.

The sec­ond half started at a much slower pace and seven min­utes af­ter Gavin Whe­lan’s goalline clear­ance for Bray, his side pulled one back.

Paddy Ka­vanagh was brought down wide on the right and Caw­ley took the re­sult­ing free kick. His de­liv­ery caused panic in the box and af­ter a mad­cap scram­ble, Ray Kenny made up for his ear­lier mis­take by forc­ing the ball in.

Bray al­most grabbed a shock equal­izer on 72 min­utes when Caw­ley’s right wing cor­ner kick found Kenny but his glanced header was wide of the far post.

Ten min­utes be­fore the end Rob­son picked up his sec­ond yel­low card for block­ing a shot with his hand and from the free kick given against him Byrne curled the 25-yarder just wide in what was the last chance of the game.

Ray Kenny of Bray tries to block Mindaugas Kalonas of Bo­hemi­ans dur­ing the game at Da­ly­mount Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.