Bril­liant Balt­in­glass ad­vance to semi-fi­nals

Bray People - - Sport -

UN­DER-12 FOOT­BALL Balt­in­glass 1-8, St Kevin’s (Hol­ly­wood) 0-3: The Balt­in­glass lads took the early lead with a Pat Burke point in the sec­ond minute fol­lowed by an­other from Gavin Ownes on the five minute mark. The Balt­in­glass backs were called into action early and de­fended su­perbly with cor­ner back Craig De­laney show­ing that he is back to full fit­ness af­ter his six week lay­off with a bro­ken arm. It was Craig’s long pass that set up Pat Burke on a solo run to kick over his side’s third point on the tenth minute.

Daryl Byrne and Ed­mund Han­lon were solid in the cen­tre and Sean Parks, Peter Gethings and Dan O’Hara all kept their lines clear.

The mid­field part­ner­ship of Tom Burke and Robin Far­rell worked hard to set up scor­ing chances for the for­wards and Balto’s fourth point came fol­low­ing a long clear­ance by Daryl to David Gethings who slipped the ball quickly to half for­ward James Tyrrell. James de­liv­ered a very ac­cu­rate kick pass to the in-run­ning Tom Burke who tapped over for a well worked point. Tom added an­other point be­fore St. Kevin’s pointed a free to leave four points be­tween the sides on the six­teenth minute. The St Kevin’s for­wards were liv­ing on crumbs and did score a sec­ond point from a thir­teen me­tre free to leave the score Balto 0-5 to St Kevin’s 0-2. af­ter 20 min­utes of play.

The Balt­in­glass for­wards were play­ing lovely one-two foot­ball with Stephen Quinnn show­ing in front for ev­ery ball. It was one of th­ese runs that led to the Balto goal.

Dave Get­tings again linked up with Stephen Quinn who passed in to Tom Burke on the forty me­tre line. Tom was taken down by the de­fender and took a quick free to his brother Pat who soloed past two de­fend­ers be­fore send­ing a pile driver to the back of the St. Kevin’s net. The re­sult­ing kick out was caught by Robin Far­rell and he set Pat up for an­other point to leave the half-time score at Balt­in­glass 1-6 to St. Kevin’s 0-2.

The sec­ond half was a much closer con­test and only yielded three points in to­tal. The first from the boot of James Tyrrell fol­low­ing a good one two with Tom Burke.

St Ni­cholas re­sponded with a point of their own again from a thir­teen me­tre free.

The sec­ond half yielded some great foot­ball from both sides with both sets of backs work­ing over­time to keep out the at­tack­ing for­wards. Pat Burke scored his sides eight point af­ter some bril­liant in­ter­change of play be­tween mid­field and half for­ward Ross Nolan who passed to Pat Burke on the left wing. Pat rounded the de­fender and kicked from an im­pos­si­ble an­gle out on the left end line to send the ball over the bar. The Balto backs again kept the St. Kevin’s lads out and Tim Burke, in goal, had a very good day keep­ing a clean sheet.

The Balt­in­glass team now meet St Pa­trick’s of Wick­low town in the cham­pi­onship semi fi­nal on Novem­ber 8. Well done a a great team per­for­mance.

The Balt­in­glass side who de­feated St. Kevin’s.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.