Bray Em­mets com­plete the dou­ble at ex­pense of bat­tling Bless­ing­ton

Bray People - - Sport - Peter KEOGH

Bray Em­mets 2-6, Bless­ing­ton 1-6: Bray Em­mets com­pleted the big mi­nor dou­ble when they beat Bless­ing­ton in the foot­ball fi­nal in the cur­tain raiser at Aughrim.

This was a great bat­tle, rather than a great foot­ball match Two teams bust­ing at the seems with tal­ented play­ers sim­ple can­celled one an­other out – lit­tle room for fancy foot­ball or frills.

This game was won and lost in the first quar­ter. The Bray side hit the ground run­ning and Paul Cun­ning­ham had pointed two frees in­side three min­utes – the first he won him­self while the sec­ond came af­ter a great run through the cen­tre by Jor­dan Egan.

The Bless­ing­ton star Dean Siney opened their ac­count with a point in the fifth minute but that was to prove their only score in the first 20 min­utes.

David Haughton had the first goal of the match in the tenth minute af­ter a move­ment started by Cail­lean Mur­phy and car­ried on by Paul Cun­ning who drew the cover be­fore part­ing to his cen­tre for­ward. Paul Cun­ning­ham was through again for an­other goal him­self af­ter a move started by a great block down by mid­fielder Aco Keat­ing three min­utes later

Haughton and Cun­ning­ham added points to leave the Bray side lead­ing by 2-4 to 0-1 at the end of the first quar­ter - Gearoid O Murchu hav­ing a hand in both scores.

Amaz­ingly Bray failed to score again for a full 45 min­utes.

In the 20th minute Bless­ing­ton put to­gether their best move of the match and when Ed­die Boylan was brought down with the goal at his mercy Alan Kelly con­verted the Penalty.

Siney added an­other point from a free to leave the half time score Bray Em­mets 2-4, Bless­ing­ton 1-2.

With the wind be­hind them in the sec­ond half Bless­ing­ton were still well in the game.

Ed­die Boylan had a point in the first minute and added an­other one from a free six min­utes later.

The Bless­ing­ton de­fence, with Paul McLough­lin and Ro­nan Doyle prom­i­nent were now com­ing to terms with Cun­ning­ham, Haughton and Co but the scores were painful- ly slow in com­ing at the other end.

In fact if the Bless­ing­ton de­fence were do­ing well at one end the Bray rear­guard were do­ing even bet­ter at the other. Conor Power, the cap­tain had moved to the cen­tre with Adam Ben­son mov­ing to the wing. Seán Byrne was do­ing a great job of mark­ing on the dan­ger man Dean Siney while Eoghan Wo­gan and Aaron Mur­phy were also cut­ting out the dan­ger at an early stage.

Boylan added his third point in the 47th minute and big mid­fielder Cur­tis Gereghty added an­other to leave only a point be­tween the sides and still ten min­utes to go.

Man­ager PJ Cun­ning­ham must have sweated blood dur­ing that ten min­utes.

Bless­ing­ton had ev­ery chance of clos­ing the gap, or even tak­ing the lead as Paul McLough­lin, Niall Keogh and Eoghan Cripps con­tinue con­tin­ued to thwart the Em­mets for­wards. Geraghty and Troy Fran­cis were winning a lot of ball at mid­field

And the Bray de­fence was un­der a lot of pres­sure. This was also forc­ing the Bray for­wards like Paul Cun­ning­ham and John Bres­lin to for­age much fur­ther out.

The ‘Blues’ fi­nally ran out of puff; big Bray full for­ward John Bres­lin fi­nally broke through for their first point of the half on the stroke of the hour and Paul Cun­ning­ham pointed a free three min­utes into in­jury time to seal a good victory.

A great victory for the Bray boys and a most sat­is­fac­tory day for their man­ager. In the hurl­ing fi­nal a few weeks ago P.J had plot­ted the down­fall of the favourites Carnew to take that cup. He had done it again and knocked out the hold­ers to com­plete the dou­ble.

Bless­ing­ton worked hard but in the end they were bit­terly dis­ap­pointed. They had no real cause for com­plaint how­ever. The only for­ward to score from play on the day was the im­pres­sive Ed­die Boylan and that’d just good enough in a fi­nal.

Cen­tre for­ward David Haughton was voted man of the match and was pre­sented with the Johnny Price Memo­rial Cup but he had lit­tle to spare over top scorer Paul Cun­ning­ham or pow­er­ful mid­fielder Jor­dan Egan

The Cup was pre­sented to the cap­tain, Conor Power, by Pat Mitchell of Bord na nOg.

The Bray Em­mets team cel­e­brate their victory in the fi­nal.

Bray Em­met’s cap­tain Conor Power re­ceives the cup from Pat Mitchell, Bord na nÓg.

Jor­dan Egan of Bray Em­mets has his ef­fort blocked by Bless­ing­ton’s Dean Mul­vey.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.