Seag­ulls are sit­ting pretty af­ter de­served victory over Derry City

Bray People - - Bray Sport - Daniel O’GOR­MAN

Bray Wan­der­ers 2, Derry City 1: A fan­tas­tic de­fen­sive dis­play by Bray Wan­der­ers in a fas­ci­nat­ing en­counter has now all but se­cured Bray Wan­derer’s Premier Divi­sion sta­tus for an­other year.

Af­ter fall­ing be­hind af­ter just two min­utes Bray fought back and were ahead thanks to a Colm Tres­son header and a solo goal from Ger Rowe.

De­spite his side’s su­perb per­for­mance last Tues­day night, Ed­die Gorm­ley did make some changes to his side for Fri­day’s clash.

The back four saw only one change with Derek Fo­ran re­plac­ing Ray Kenny, mid­field saw just one change also as Gareth Cough­lan re­placed the sus­pended Paddy Ka­vanagh and there was also just a singe al­ter­ation up front with Rowe im­press­ing enough in his brief ap­pear­ance on Tues­day to take the place of Jake Kelly.

Seag­ull’s fans will have been hop­ing their side would build on their re­sult against Rovers but with just over a minute played, they were be­hind.

Bray tried to play the ball out from the back but when Gavin Whe­lan left Alan Gough short with his back-pass, the on fire Mark Far­ren nipped in and rounded Gough be­fore rolling the ball into the net.

The Candys­tripes were, for ob­vi­ous rea­sons, the hap­pier side but on 11 min­utes the smirks should have been wiped off the vis­i­tors’ fans faces af­ter Cough­lan missed a fan­tas­tic chance.

Af­ter Derry cleared away the dan­ger from a Bray set-piece the Derry de­fence tried to come out and catch Bray play­ers off­side. What they hadn’t counted on was Rowe’s neat ball find­ing Cough­lan, who con­trolled with his chest be­fore his poor fin­ish from 12 yards went wide.

The mo­men­tum was now with the Wick­low side and they made their ad­van­tage count on 18 min­utes.

Af­ter Rowe had been fouled wide on the right, ref­eree Mark Gough awarded Bray a free kick. There was plenty of jostling in the penalty area but when Alan Caw­ley de­liv­ered the ball into the dan­ger area, Colm Tres­son found him­self a yard of space and stooped to send his firm header into the back of the net.

Wan­der­ers’ joy was dou­bled four min­utes later.

Kevin Do­herty’s huge punt for- ward left Rowe har­ing down on Ed­die McCal­lion. 20 yards from goal Rowe had caught up with the Derry man and the right back’s des­per­ate ef­fort to clear the ball left Rowe with a fan­tas­tic op­por­tu­nity. He duly took it, de­spite Ger­ard Do­herty get­ting a hand to the ball and send­ing it in off the post.

Eleven min­utes be­fore the break and Far­ren was at it again, caus­ing the Bray de­fence all sorts of trou­ble.

Niall McGinn made light work of Mark Dug­gan on the right wing be­fore feed­ing Far­ren. Far­ren then poked it past the ad­vanc­ing Fo­ran be­fore racing on to the ball and try­ing his luck. The fin­ish, un­fortu- nately, did not match the build up.

Two min­utes af­ter that a left deep left wing cross found an un-marked McGinn, who chested the ball be­fore try­ing a dip­ping vol­ley into the top cor­ner but Gough was alert to it and so Derry went into the break trail­ing.

That statis­tic should have changed three min­utes into the sec­ond pe­riod when Pen­der was harshly ad­judged to have han­dled McGinn’s shot, but Sammy Mor­row blasted his 12-yarder off the cross­bar be­fore it was hacked away.

Gough then al­most calami­tously gifted Derry an equal­izer as he slipped when tak­ing a free 40 yards out but Far­ren’s ef­fort was a me­tre wide of the un­guarded net.

Five min­utes on and it was Derry’s turn to cause them­selves trou­ble af­ter Stephen Gray’s slip al­lowed Cough­lan to race through but the winger’s ef­fort flashed wide of the goal.

With 69 min­utes gone the Ul­ster men were des­per­ately un­lucky not to score af­ter a Caw­ley foul al­lowed Kevin Deery to blast his free kick off the upright and at this stage Stephen Kenny must have known his luck was out.

With six min­utes to go the vis­i­tors squan­dered yet an­other chance af­ter Fo­ran could only nod a left wing cross into Ciaran Mar­tyn’s path and his low ef­fort from 10 yards hit the side net­ting.

The last chance of the game ar­rived on 85 min­utes and it took a world class save from Gough to keep Bray in the lead.

Niall McGinn slipped the ball to Gray. Gray then clipped the ball into the mid­dle and Kevin McHugh’s im­pro­vised ef­fort was go­ing in un­til Gough threw him­self full length to turn the ball around the post.

Man of the Match: Derek Fo­ran (Bray Wan­der­ers). If it moved, he cleared it. Not bad for a 19-year old.

Kevin Do­herty of Bray Wan­der­ers in a tus­sle with Derry’s Mark McChrys­tal as Ger Rowe of Bray looks on.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.