Bis­sett grabs point with late equaliser

Bray People - - Bray Sport -

Bal­ly­waltrim FC 1, Celtic Stars 1: Mark Bis­sett was Bal­ly­waltrim’s hero last Sun­day as his 92nd minute header earned them a de­served point in their Divi­sion 2 clash.

The Bray side had fallen be­hind to an own goal af­ter 11 min­utes and it looked like they were head­ing for their third league de­feat of the sea­son un­til Bis­sett nod­ded in Dar­ren Devlin’s free kick.

It was the home side that started the bright­est af­ter Devlin had slipped the ball through for Ryan Ba­bel-es­que winger Stephen Mur­phy but his low shot was well gath­ered at his near post by Celtic’s goal­keeper Keith Collins.

Dis­as­ter struck for Bal­ly­waltrim when they fell be­hind against the run of play it has to be said af­ter Robert Ryan’s cross-cum-shot forced a Bal­ly­waltrim de­fender who shall re­main anony­mous to bun­dle the ball into his own net.

On the 20 minute mark Dar­ren Devlin wasn’t too far away from scor­ing with a 25yard ef­fort but his shot was just off tar­get.

Eleven min­utes later Aaron Meaney tried to go one bet­ter than Devlin with a long range ef­fort of his own but it flew just over the cross­bar.

Clash then went in search of a sec­ond and al­most had one when TJ Byrne’s shot from 12 yards was blocked by the knee of Rob Green look-alike Leigh Mur­phy in the Bal­ly­waltrim goal and the re­bound was hit wide by Conor Byrne.

The vis­i­tors were then the width of the cross­bar away from dou­bling their lead five min­utes be­fore the break when TJ Byrne let rip with a free kick 20 yards out and the ball skimmed the cross­bar and over.

At the start of the sec­ond half then Mark Collins had a halfchance to grab him­self a goal af­ter Ryan was ad­judged to be on­side by Wil­lie Whe­lan and his cut­back found Ryan, who’s shot from 12 yards was blocked away for a cor­ner.

The 54th minute pro­duced an­other halfchance but this time it fell to the side that were trail­ing. Aaron Meaney sent in a left- footed cross from the right and al­though Tarik Taha couldn’t con­nect with it, Devlin dove at full stretch to con­nect with it but couldn’t force it in.

There was then a lull in the match for 20 min­utes be­fore the home side missed a sit­ter to level the scores.

Devlin’s ball in from the right found an un­marked Mark Bis­sett at the back post and the sub­sti­tute some­how failed to score but he did make up for it later on.

Three min­utes were left when ‘keeper Keith Collins spilled a long ball for­ward into Devlin’s path but the mid­fielder’s ef­fort was inches wide of the tar­get.

It was two min­utes into in­jury time when Bal­ly­waltrim got the equal­izer they de­served.

Taha was fouled out on the right and Bal­ly­waltrim man­ager Tommy Mur­phy or­dered Devlin to take the re­sult­ing free kick. Devlin then took the Celtic de­fence by sur­prise by dink­ing the ball to the back post where Bis­sett forced it in to his team-mates de­light.

Man of the Match: Sean O’Brien ( Bal­ly­waltrim). Bray’s an­swer to Xabi Alonso.

The Bal­ly­waltrim team.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.