Kil­te­gan take crown af­ter close en­counter

Bray People - - Bray Sport - Mark KENNEDY

Kil­te­gan 0-8, New­cas­tle 0-5: The scor­ing was low, the determination of the two teams and the missed chances were high as Kil­te­gan claimed the first of a no­table cham­pi­onship dou­ble at the week­end by claim­ing a nar­row three points victory over New­cas­tle in the Ju­nior ‘A’ Foot­ball fi­nal at Ark­low on Satur­day.

In the cham­pi­onship cam­paign up to this point New­cas­tle has carved out a rep­u­ta­tion for them­selves as com­ing from be­hind with a sec­ond half surge to se­cure victory at the death.

This time they set them­selves up as a pot-shot by build­ing up a small 0-4 to 0-2 lead in the first half, pro­vid­ing Kil­te­gan with a tar­get to aim at in an im­prove sec­ond half dis­play that saw cor­ner-for­ward Keith Fur­long find his shoot­ing boots dur­ing the in­ter­val.

Af­ter a poor first half in which he frit­ted away sev­eral good scor­ing chances, in­clud­ing miss­ing a gilt edged goal op­por­tu­nity, Fur­long came good af­ter the restart and he set Kil­te­gan on the road to victory with some splen­did scores.

New­cas­tle man­aged to add just one point to their half time lead of 0-4 to 0-2 in the sec­ond half – that came from hy­per­ac­tive cor­ner for­ward Paddy Ka­vanagh shortly af­ter the restart, while in con­trast Kil­te­gan re­sponded with six match­ing winning points in a dom­i­nant sec­ond half dis­play, two thirds of the scores com­ing from the re­fo­cused boot of Fur­long.

Wing-for­ward Seán Byrne opened for Kil­te­gan with a point in the sec­ond minute, af­ter tak­ing a pass from Lorcan Byrne, but there­after their shoot­ing for scores was way off the mark in the first half.

New­cas­tle’s winger JP Kelly had a very promis­ing start for his side with two rapid fire points af­ter five min­utes, but he did not main­tain the mo­men­tum and cor­ner­for­ward Paddy Ka­vanagh was their most vis­i­ble at­tacker along with Richard Mer­ri­man at full-for­ward.

Paddy Ka­vanagh stretched the New­cas­tle lead to 0-3 to 0-1 af­ter eight min­utes but there­after the sides reg­is­tered only an­other point apiece, un­der­lin­ing the poor rate of re­turn we had from the re­spec­tive for­wards.

Keith Fur­long spurned three ex­cel­lent chances of scores for Kil­te­gan, in­clud­ing one where he was through for what looked a cer­tain goal but he pulled his shot wide of Ian Lucey’s left-hand post.

New­cas­tle’s Rob­bie O’Gara, a whole­hearted and class player, the cen­tre-field en­gine pro­pel­ling his team for­ward, also caught the bug and failed to find the tar­get with a num­ber of at­tempts, in­clud­ing frees.

Full-for­ward Dar­ren Hob­son opened the sec­ond half scor­ing for Kil­te­gan with an early point and mo­ments later Paddy Ka­vanagh recorded New­cas­tle’s last score of the match when he had an an­swer­ing point.

Kil­te­gan did up their per­for­mance and scor­ing rate on the change-over, mainly due to Keith Fur­long find­ing his form, but even so eigh­teen min­utes were to elapse be­fore they drew level at 0-5 each. Stephen Far­rell drew a good save from New­cas­tle keeper Ian Lucey while it was two more smart points from Fur­long that fired Kil­te­gan ahead af­ter 54 min­utes.

Fer­gal Far­rell re­placed Dan Kear­ney on the Kil­te­gan team and got his name on the score­board and now the ti­tle and tro­phy were firmly in their grasp fol­low­ing the stronger sec­ond half per­for­mance of the two teams.

The Kil­te­gan team who de­feated New­cas­tle in the Ju­nior ‘A’ foot­ball fi­nal on Sun­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.