Cham­pi­ons Glenealy set up show­down with Carnew

Bray People - - Sport - Mark KENNEDY

Glenealy 1-20, Kil­te­gan 1-10: Glenealy, the de­fend­ing Se­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­ons, have set up an­other fi­nal show­down with arch-ri­vals Carnew fol­low­ing their ten points win over Kil­te­gan in their semi-fi­nal game at Aughrim on Sun­day.

Af­ter winning the Se­nior foot­ball ti­tle the pre­vi­ous week, Kil­te­gan were go­ing in search of a Se­nior dou­ble in 2008 but it never re­ally looked a pos­si­bil­ity against a Glenealy side that led the way from pil­lar to post in this match.

How­ever, Kil­te­gan did give it their best shot on the day, main­tained a strong enough chal­lenge for three­quar­ters of the match, but then the af­ter ef­fects of the pre­vi­ous week’s victory cel­e­bra­tions kicked in and they ran out of steam.

Glenealy led by 1-12 to 0-6 at half­time af­ter play­ing with a strong wind, but then Kil­te­gan started the sec­ond-half strongly with early points by John Keogh and Seánie Fur­long and a goal by Keogh on 48 min­utes to re­duce the gap to 1-17 to 1-9, but their chal­lenge faded in the fi­nal quar­ter.

Jonathan O’Neill, who started at mid­field be­fore switch­ing to de­fence, had an­other mighty game for Glenealy, scor­ing six points, five of them from frees. He set his team on the road with two early points from frees - a spe­cial­ity of his - and the reds were on the road to victory af­ter that.

Cor­ner-for­ward Alan Driver was also a lively at­tacker for Glenealy and he landed the first of his five smash­ing points af­ter five min­utes and the reds were three points up at that stage, with Kil­te­gan still to reg­is­ter on the score­board.

It took Kil­te­gan some time to grow into this con­test but once they got motoring and started to shed the cob­webs and ring rust ac­cu­mu­lated from a lack of hurl­ing prac­tice, they con­tested well for 45 min­utes.

Ten min­utes had elapsed be­fore Kil­te­gan got off the mark, their open­ing point scored by their mid­fielder Seánie Fur­long off his left hand, and there­after Fur­long caused a lot of headaches for the Glenealy de­fence, es­pe­cially when he moved to a scor­ing po­si­tion at full-for­ward.

Glenealy recog­nised the in­her­ent dan­ger posed by Seánie Fur­long, just as good a preda­tory for­ward in hurl­ing as in foot­ball, and the reds switched Jonathan O’Neill to a de­fen­sive role in the half line in an ef­fort to close off the sup­ply of ball to Fur­long, who was sup­ported by stal­warts Jef­frey Ber­ming­ham, De­nis Hayes, An­thony Fur­long and Eoin O’Neill.

Glenealy lined out without Aus­tralia-bound Leighton Glynn but his brother Enan has blos­somed into a qual­ity at­tacker in the past year or two.

Thanks to the work and scor­ing of Seánie Fur­long and John Keogh, Kil­te­gan were only trail­ing by four points, 0-9 to 0-5, af­ter 24 min­utes and that de­spite play­ing against a very strong wind. But then Alan Driver picked out Enan Glynn with a great pass across the face of the Kil­te­gan goal and the green flag was wav­ing. That goal set Glenealy up for a 1-12 to 0-6 lead at the break.

Af­ter Jonathan O’Neill had opened the sec­ond-half scor­ing with a point for Glenealy, Kil­te­gan’s free-taker John Keogh re­sponded with two points from placed balls, Seánie Fur­long added an­other, while af­ter 48 min­utes John Keogh blasted a free to the net to nar­row the gap to 1-17 to 1-9, and un­der­line that Kil­te­gan were still de­fi­ant if never go­ing to chal­lenge the win­ners con­sid­er­able lead.

Kil­te­gan’s re­sis­tance faded in the clos­ing quar­ter, al­low­ing Glenealy to run out clear-cut win­ners as ex­pected.

Scor­ers for Glenealy: Jonathan O’Neill (0-6), Alan Driver (0-5), Enan Glynn (1-3), MJ O’Neill (0-2), Philip Dunne (0-2), MA O’Neill and Thomas Doyle (0-1 each).

Kil­te­gan scor­ers: Seánie Fur­long (0-4), John Keogh (1-6, four points frees).

Glenealy: Joey Driver, Colm O’Neill, Trevor McGrath, Robert Byrne, Gary Byrne, Colm Byrne, Philip Dunne, Jonathan O’Neill, MJ O’Neill, Thomas Doyle, MA O’Neill, Gavin Byrne, Enan Glynn, An­thony Driver, Alan Driver. Subs: Nigel Driver for G. Byrne, Barry O’Neill for An­thony Driver, Alan De­laney for MA O’Neill.

Kil­te­gan: Alis­ter Ham­bidge, Barry Cremin, Jef­frey Ber­ming­ham, De­nis Hayes, An­thony Fur­long, Eoin O’Neill, Ciaran Doyle, Rory Finn, Seanie Fur­long, Sean Byrne, John O’Toole, John Keogh, Fer­gal Far­rell, Adrian Keogh, Ray Kelly. Subs: Dan Kear­ney for R. Kelly, Keith Fur­long for B. Cremin, Christy O’Toole for S. Byrne, Peadar Far­rell for R. Finn, Eu­gene Byrne for A. Keogh.

Ref­eree: De­clan Pep­pard (Hol­ly­wood).

Kil­te­gan’s Robert Byrne clears his lines.

Seánie Fur­long of Kil­te­gan breaks free from M.J. O’Neill and Robert Byrne.

Trevor McGrath of Glenealy and Seánie Fur­long bat­tle for pos­ses­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.