Grey­stones sink DLSP


Bray People - - Bray Sport -

DLSP 3, Grey­stones 17: Grey­stones have nearly al­ways floun­dered against their near ri­vals in Kil­ter­nan and in six pre­vi­ous en­coun­ters they have only come out on top once and had never won away.

Once again the weather looked like it would be a fac­tor in the game as a wet and windy play­ing area with the wind blow­ing di­rectly down the pitch should have seen all the action at one end.

Grey­stones won the toss and elected to play with the el­e­ments and this in the end proved to be a wise de­ci­sion.

For the first ten min­utes they had all the pos­ses­sion and out­half James Power was in fine kick­ing form, putting boot to ball into touch, thus forc­ing the home team into de­fend­ing in their own twenty-two with the added bonus that on ther own throw into the li­ne­out, Stones sec­ond row, Barry Holmes in great form, was a dis­rupt­ing in­flu­ence throught the game.

On fif­teen min­utes the vis­i­tors were once again in good field po­si­tion on the Salmo twenty-two with the home team hav­ing the put in to a scrum but as scrum-half Dustin Jinka tried to kick clear the ball was picked up by Stones No. 7 Dan Kenny who went in un­der the posts for a try which Power had no prob­lem in con­vert­ing to put Grey­stones into a 7-0 lead.

Four min­utes later and an­other long punt in­side his own twenty-two saw Power kick long with the Salmo left wing Ro­nan McCabe un­able to catch it, only suc­ceed­ing in putting it into touch to con­cede the throw in.

How­ever a crooked put in by Ja­son Har­ris-Wright saw the promis­ing at­tack come to nought.

Grey­stones were awarded a penalty four min­utes later with Power adding to the seven points to now put his team into a ten-point lead.

Min­utes later and an at­tempted drop goal from the Stones out­half went off the cross­bar.

Grey­stones were now also winning the scrum bat­tle with their front row dis­rupt­ing the Salmo put in and even when they did get the ball at the base, the tiger­ish Stones back­row of Kenny, Luke Man­tle and man of the match Stu Ab­bott were giv­ing Jinka a tor­rid time, forc­ing him into er­rors.

On 28 min­utes and again with a Salmo scrum fif­teen me­tres out from their line, a con­certed Stones push saw the home team shunted back with Jinka at­tempt­ing a grub­ber kick which hit off Power and bounced kindly into the hands of Steve Meyer, who shrug­ging off two tack­les went in un­der the sticks with Power once adding the two easy points to put them into a 17 point lead.

With ten min­utes on the clock both sides were re­duced to four­teen, when in two se­pearte in­ci­dents Grey­stones cen­tre Aaron Higgs and Salmo’s sec­ond row Conor Coak­ley were both sin binned.

The sec­ond-half re­sumed with Stones now hav­ing to play against the el­e­ments and you would have ex­pected the home team to do what Power had done in the first pe­riod but Salmo’s Conor Hickey was not find­ing his touches and the Grey­stones back three of wings Ro­nan Car­roll and Cian O’Sul­li­van and full­back Mark Geraghty in splen­did form, they fielded flawlesly and coun­tered with some fine at­tacks which on two oc­ca­sions seemed likely to pro­duce scores but alas they came to noth­ing.

Salmo’s scrum were in all sorts of bother, par­tic­u­lary on their own ball and in truth it was a li­a­bil­ity to them, as the ever in­creac­ing pres­sure from the Stones pack and con­stant pres­sure in par­tic­u­lar from their back­row, gave them no chance to mount any at­tacks of note.

The home team were now con­stantly in trou­ble in their own half and never seemed to be in any dan­ger of breach­ing the Grey­stones line, their only real at­tack­ing play of note com­ing twenty min­utes into the half when they were awarded a penalty which Conor Hickey con­verted. At this time they had re­ceived an­other yel­low with No. 8 and cap­tain Colin Power was ad­judged to have made a late tackle on Car­roll.

With fif­teen min­utes to go and a scrum when Hickey was forced into touch­ing down in his in goal, Stones seemed to have pushed them over but the referree awarded a penalty to the vis­i­tors which, sens­ing the pos­si­bal­ity of a third try, they chose the scrum op­tion but not hav­ing set the scrum as well as they had been through­out, Salmo some­how got the ball and re­lieved the pres­sure with a cler­ance kick.

Grey­stones did have one more promis­ing at­tack with clever show of the ball by Power on half­way and a pass to Meyer and af­ter ten me­tres with Higgs in sup­port, the No. 12 seemed to be on his way but a good tackle frm Salmo wing Ro­nan McCabe stopped him in his tracks.

The league now takes a break for the au­tumn in­ter­na­tion­als, re­sum­ing on Novem­ber 29th when Grey­stones en­ter­tain High­field at Dr. Hickey Park.

The Avon­dale team of 1983, who were the ju­bilee team who were hon­oured at the county hurl­ing fi­nal in Aughrim on Sun­day.

Action from Grey­stones’ match against DLSP.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.