Bray People - - Bray Sport -

Un­der-16 foot­ball - Bray Em­mets 0-11, Eire Óg 1-7: The game was played in very wet and windy con­di­tions on Satur­day af­ter­noon in Ark­low. Bray had the ad­van­tage of the wind in the first-half and cor­ner-for­wards Chris Lyons and Mikey Lee giv­ing the Eire Óg backs a tor­rid time. They were well sup­ported by the ex­cel­lent work of the half-for­wards Luke O’Reilly, Ciarán O’Con­nor and Daire Maloney. The hard work­ing mid­field­ers Hugh Dou­glas and Ar­ran Mur­phy made sure that the for­wards got plenty of ball through­out the first-half. The backs were con­tain­ing the Eire Og for­wards with Adam O’Con­nor dom­i­nat­ing at full-back. Bray went in at half-time lead­ing by 0-9 to 0-1.

The sec­ond-half started in a down­pour and Eire Og put the Bray backs un­der ex­treme pres­sure with high ball land­ing in and around the square. The cor­ner­backs Eoin O’Dea and Philip Haughton were keep­ing a tight rein on their op­po­nents. Half-back line of Dave O’Sul­li­van, Finian Green and Kil­lian Mol­loy were un­der pres­sure but stuck to their task very well. Eire Óg got back into the game with a con­tro­ver­sial goal but this Bray team were not go­ing to lie down and with goal­keeper Tadgh Dor­nan or­gan­is­ing and urg­ing on his de­fence they dug deep and went on the at­tack again led by the mid­field­ers and the ex­cel­lent Chris Lyons and John Hen­der­son up front. With the sides level go­ing into the last cou­ple of min­utes it was left to su­per sub Seán Plun­kett to score what was the winning point. In the last ten min­utes the switch of full-for­ward John Hen­der­son to cen­tre half for­ward was the winning of this fi­nal as it was his po­si­tional sense and de­liv­ery that kept the ball in the op­po­nents half giv­ing the backs a de­served break. The fi­nal whis­tle was very wel­come re­lief and cup was pre­sented to Bray cap­tain Ar­ran Mur­phy by Ed­die Leonard. Man of the Match went to a very im­pres­sive Chris Lyons and he was pre­sented with his award by Ed­die Leonard.

Great credit must go to both teams for the ex­cel­lent foot­ball played in aw­ful con­di­tions. A spe­cial thanks must go to the trav­el­ling Bray sup­port­ers who kept the play­ers go­ing in a very tough sec­ond­half. This team also had a very strong subs bench and their com­mit­ment and sup­port through­out the year was ex­cel­lent and without them we would not be cham­pi­ons. Four of the subs were used dur­ing the game Paddy.O’Toole, Daniel Mollo, Harry Stephen­son and Seán Plun­kett and played their part.

Scor­ers for Bray. C. Lyons 0-6, A. Mur­phy, 0-2 D, Maloney 0-1, J. Hen­der­son 01, S. Plun­kett 0-1.

Panel. T.Dor­nan E O’Dea A. O’Con­nor P. Haughton D.O’ Sul­li­van F. Green K. Mol­loy H.Dou­glas A. Mur­phy L. O’Reilly C.O’Con­nor D. Maloney C.Lyons J. Hen­der­son M. Lee P.O’Toole D. Mol­loy H. Stephen­son C.. Nolan S.Plun­kett N. Sweeney A. Con­way N. Car­ton P. Hor­gan

Se­nior Hurl­ing - Billy Byrne Cup - Bray Se­nior hurlers plucked de­feat from the jaws of victory as they lost the fi­nal of the Billy Byrne Cup against a well mo­ti­vated Ark­low Rocks team. In the process they ended their hurl­ing year on a dis­ap­point­ing note.

It was a game played on a sunny day but boggy ground - but hey, it was the end of Oc­to­ber! De­spite miss­ing sev­eral key play­ers, Bray made a very good ac­count of them­selves in the first-half play­ing against the wind. The ex­pe­ri­ence of Bill Ma­her and Liam Kenny was key as the Bray for­wards man­aged to keep the score­board tick­ing over and Eoin Ma­son, fresh from in­ter­na­tional duty was show­ing his skills in the mid­field area.

Ark­low were putting the Bray backs un­der huge pres­sure, yet stout de­fend­ing and dis­ci­plined tackling from the likes of Jor­dan Lee, Peter Kiely and Ed Keat­ing kept the dam­age to the min­i­mum and in­deed, Bray man­aged to go into the half­time break in the as­cen­dancy.

The sec­ond-half was a tighter af­fair as Ark­low came out with all guns blaz­ing. It was nip and tuck and the sup­port­ers felt a goal would swing it. Ark­low scored their goal first fol­low­ing a de­fen­sive er­ror, yet Eoin Ma­son scored shortly af­ter to go a cou­ple of points ahead.

Christy Moore­house started to pick up a lit­tle more ball and kept the Ark­low half­back line turn­ing. With two min­utes to go all present felt that Bray just needed to hold on to get their hands on the cup. They say a two-point lead is the most danger­ous, and this proved to be true as Danny Cur­ran lost his marker and man- aged to fin­ish the ball to the back of the net to give the cup to Ark­low Rocks. On be­half of his fam­ily Liam McGraynor pre­sented the cup to the Ark­low cap­tain.

With the end of the Se­nior Hurl­ing sea­son, this game marked the end of Conor John­son’s reign as Se­nior man­ager. The play­ers would like to pass on their great ap­pre­ci­a­tion for all Conor’s time, ef­fort and pa­tience over the last num­ber of years.

Team: Paddy Mil­ward, Danny Egling­ton, Peter Kiely, Ed Keat­ing, Paul Barry, Ro­nan O Brien, Jor­dan Lee, Eoin Ma­son, Peter Walsh, Wil­lie Nolan, Liam Kenny, Lorcan Pratt, John Ward, Bill Ma­her, Christy Moore­house, Liam Óg McGraynor, Billy Brazil, Eoin Brazil.

Wick­low Tony For­re­stal winning squad - The Wick­low Tony For­re­stal winning squad, pa­raded the tro­phy at half-time at the Se­nior hurl­ing fi­nal in Aughrim on Sun­day last. The squad in at­ten­dance on the day were as fol­lows, Diar­muid Master­son (cap­tain) Cian O’Byrne Jim Doyle, Enda Mol­loy, Luke Maloney, Stephen Mur­phy, John Walsh, Daniel Nolan, Wayne Kin­sella, Ciaran Mul­hall, Jamie Byrne, Em­met Byrne, Aaron Nu­gent, Conor Lin­nane, James Man­ley, Daniel Staunton, Eoin Keddy, Peter Quigley.

Squad mem­bers not able to at­tend on the day were Pierce Sweeney, Cathal O Du­lachain, Muiris O Floinn, Paul Mur­ray, Eoin Coogan, Kevin Byrne, James Smullen.

Bray had eight play­ers on this suc­cess­ful County squad, which au­gurs well for the fu­ture of Bray and Wick­low!

1983 Se­nior Hurl­ing Cham­pi­onship Win­ner

Liam McGraynor, more known in the foot­ball world in Bray, was also hon­oured be­fore the Se­nior Hurl­ing fi­nal as he was player on the Avon­dale Se­nior Hurl­ing team that won in 1983.

U-12 hurl­ing county fi­nal - Hav­ing al­ready beaten Glenealy twice dur­ing the year and drawn once with an av­er­age of 14 points for and 10 points against, this was our big test. The weather was atro­cious with heavy ground con­di­tions and a very strong di­ag­o­nal gale force wind. Hav­ing won the toss, Bray Em­mets de­cided to play against the wind. Need­less to say we were un­der con­stant pres­sure right through­out the first half. All play­ers put in great ef­fort and both Padraig Doyle and Peter Con­roy made some fine clear­ances. We brought Pa­trick Michel back from cor­ner for­ward to strengthen up the de­fence and this he did su­perbly. Our man of the match must surely have been Conor McNally who made one mag­nif­i­cent save af­ter an­other.

Glenealy opened the scor­ing with a well taken point fol­lowed shortly by a pow­er­ful shot from their full for­ward which ended up in the net. Glenealy added 2 fur­ther points to leave the half­time score of 1-3 to no score. This was a good re­sult for us and all our play­ers were in high spir­its. They were fired up for the sec­ond half. Like Glenealy in the first half it was now our turn to pile on the pres­sure. This we did. The ball rarely left the Glenealy de­fence. Shortly into the sec­ond half Eoin McCormack whipped over a lovely point from the right wing. This was fol­lowed shortly by a sec­ond point from Michael Boland. In the space of 10 min­utes we hit the upright three times. Un­der fur­ther pres­sure from the Bray Em­mets for­wards the Glenealy goal­keeper made some great saves. A fur­ther point from a free by Michael Boland and we were just one score away. Un­for­tu­nately it never came. Glenealy were dogged in determination to win pos­ses­sion. To their great credit they put con­stant pres­sure on our play­ers, and did’nt give them the space which they had been used to. Even though Glenealy were held score­less in the sec­ond half they de­served to win on a score­line of 1-3 to 03 points.

Did we pass the test? I think def­i­nitely yes. We lost a game of hurl­ing but our heads never dropped and we never gave up. What more can one ask . It has been a great year for our team hav­ing played 9 games, won 7, drawn 1 and lost 1. The U11’s form nearly half the team. They also have had a mar­vel­lous sea­son in hurl­ing in the Dublin Cup and League, hav­ing played 9, won 7, drawn1 and lost 1.

To all play­ers, you did your best last Satur­day. You did us all proud. Yes, we were bit­terly dis­ap­pointed on the day but that’s what sport teaches us, how to be good losers as well as good win­ners. We have great things to look for­ward to and our de­feat on Satur­day will only strengthen our re­solve go­ing for­ward. En­joy your well de­served hol­i­days.

Un­der-13 hurlers - Matt Thom­son and a team of par­ents brought the un­der-13 squad to Craanford in Co. Wex­ford last Wed­nes­day night to play un­der lights for the first time. In a free flow­ing game Craanford were the stronger team and even­tu­ally won the match by eight or nine points but it was a great ex­pe­ri­ence to play out­side the County and to give a good ac­count of our­selves. The two McCormack boys Ben & Eoin played like men that were born to play hurl­ing, Ryan Ty­nan was a power house at cen­tre back, Matt Thom­son and Mark Len­non hardly put a foot wrong, while up front Danny O’Toole and Paul Mo­ran scored some cred­itable points. Eoin O’Reilly fin­ished to the net af­ter a fine save by the Craanford goalie. Next week its Ballyfad and with a few more play­ers back we should hold our own in this league, “Well Done Lads”.

Un­der-10 Mini blitz - Bray played host to St Olafs and Ballinteer St Johns in a three-way hurl­ing blitz re­cently. Both th­ese teams had beaten us ear­lier in the year with BSJ in par­tic­u­lar giv­ing us a se­vere beat­ing so we were us­ing th­ese games as a bench­mark of our im­prove­ments over the sum­mer. The re­ports are from the green team.

The first match against Olafs was an edgy af­fair as the Bray lads were de­ter­mined not to be beaten on this oc­ca­sion. Bray opened the scor­ing when Philip Red­mond scored a nice 3pointer (over the bar worth 3, un­der the bar worth 1 in U10 Go games) from on the run. The match set­tled in to a mid­field bat­tle as the dom­i­nant de­fences quickly despatched any ball played into the for­ward po­si­tions back out again. Liam Carolan, Oisin Dougan and Mark Kenny were very strong for Bray in th­ese po­si­tions. Olafs got a skill point for a bat down and added to this with a well-taken point from mid­field. Go­ing into the last few min­utes Bray were press­ing hard to try and at least draw and this per­sis­tence was awarded with a 65. Owen Duffy who had spent his sum­mer hol­i­days prac­tis­ing frees and side­line cuts stepped up and calmly dis­patched the ball be­tween the posts to give Bray a 6-4 lead. Olafs made a fi­nal push and were them­selves awarded a 65 but their at­tempt just drifted to the right and was sig­nalled wide to the re­lief of the Bray lads. A hard fought victory to the Bray lads.

The sec­ond game was against BSJ and Bray put in an­other hard bat­tling game against a very skilled op­po­si­tion. This game was tit for tat all the way as BSJ scored a 3 pointer, which was can­celled out, by scores from Stephen Finn and skill points from Owen Duffy and Philip Red­mond. BSJ got their own skill point and again Bray re­sponded with an ab­so­lute bul­let of a ground shot from Ro­nan Browne from about 20 yards out which nearly tore the net off the posts. Into the last cou­ple of min­utes the match was level when our lads let their con­cen­tra­tion slip and the BSJ for­wards twice broke in­side our back line to poach scores. The fi­nal score was 6-4 against us but this was a mas­sive im­prove­ment on our early sea­son form against this op­po­si­tion.Many thanks to Richard Hourihan and Harry Stephen­son for ref­er­ee­ing on the day.

Un­der-10 - Bray Em­mets ver­sus St Brigids - Our first match af­ter the sum­mer break was against St Brigids of Castle­knock. Due to hol­i­day ab­sences in both teams we played a sin­gle 12-aside game in­stead of the nor­mal 2 by 9 aside games. This was an­other good end-to-end match with both sides be­ing equal un­til the last cou­ple of min­utes. Brigids opened the scor­ing with a 3 pointer and then each team scored skill points for bat downs with Owen Duffy get­ting Bray’s score. Philip Red­mond scored for Bray af­ter his shot that was head­ing for the roof of the net was de­flected over the bar off a de­fend­ers hel­met. Un­for­tu­nately our team went asleep in the fi­nal cou­ple of min­utes for Brigids to score twice and win by a nar­row mar­gin. The Brigids team men­tors were very com­pli­men­tary of our team as 3 times dur­ing the game they praised our play­ers (Liam Carolan, Owen Duffy and Philip Red­mond) for mak­ing clean catches un­der pres­sure. This part of our game has im­proved since we started do­ing a num­ber of wall ball ses­sions over the sum­mer.

The U-10 hurl­ing panel is: Aaron Lyons, Adam Barry, Aonghus Mul­doon, Ben Hoskin, Caolan Brady, Co­nan O’Duill, Conn Benville, Evan Sweeney, Fin­tan O’Shea, Jimmy Ma­son, Kevin Nolan, Kevin Spaine, Liam Carolan, Luke Steele, Mark Kenny, Oisin Dougan, Os­car DeBurca, Owen Duffy, Phillip Red­mond, Ro­nan Browne, Ryan Hannon, Stephen Finn. Well done Dara. Dara O hAn­naidh, Cap­tain of the Wick­low Se­nior foot­ball team, was hon­oured in be­ing picked for the Le­in­ster Foot­ball squad. Un­for­tu­nately Le­in­ster went down to Con­nacht on Satur­day.

Im­por­tant No­tice - All Adult Teams, both ladies and men’s

The man­age­ment of all our adult, ladies and men’s foot­ball and hurl­ing teams, are now open for re­newal for 2009.. In­ter­ested par­ties are in­vited to con­tact the Club Sec­re­tary, Frances Stephen­son, 087 2499362, be­fore Novem­ber 4th, for fur­ther de­tails.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.