Grey­stones chalk up good win over High­field

Bray People - - Bray Sport -

Grey­stones 26, High­field 9: Af­ter the break for the Au­tumn In­ter­na­tion­als it was back to busi­ness in the Al­lIre­land League on Satur­day last when Grey­stones wel­comed High­field to Dr. Hickey Park.

The pre­vi­ous en­counter with the Cork team was two sea­sons ago when in a tight game ’Stones pre­vailed. The vis­i­tors were in 11th place in the league, with ’Stones just two places and points above them so both teams were hop­ing to gain valu­able points in the run up to Christ­mas and in a hard-fought game it was ’Stones who came out on top in the end with the win.

The first ten min­utes saw ’ Stones hav­ing to de­fend within their own half with out-half James Pow­ers chip go­ing astray only to see a ’Stones player in an off­side po­si­tion and a penalty awarded to the vis­i­tors which cen­tre Nick Wakely nar­rowly put wide of the posts.

The kick-off by Power went straight into the arms of the vis­i­tors sec­ond row Matt McGann and again a silly penalty by ’Stones for a tackle al­lowed High­field a penalty, this time they choose the li­ne­out op­tion.

From it they moved the ball well and a pass to prop Martin Gat­ley should have yielded a try but he was tack­led by Grey­stones cen­tre Ste­vie Meyer who knocked it from his grasp, how­ever with the ad­van­tage a poor kick clear­ance from Power once again put ’Stones un­der pres­sure but thank­fully the vis­i­tors were not able to take full ad­van­tage.

With fif­teen min­utes on the clock Grey­stones fi­nally woke up with their pack now tak­ing con­trol and with scrum-half Frank Jones now get­ting some ball he and Power were now dic­tat­ing the pace of the game with some good work which on one oc­ca­sion saw a de­light­ful belly pass from Power to Meyer set­ting the No. 13 off on a good run that saw him stopped just short of the vis­i­tors line.

Three min­utes later and yet an­other Power in­spired run saw him com­bine with sec­ond row Neil Me­gan­nety and wing Ro­nan Car­roll again al­most make the High­field line.

The scor­ing opened on 22 min­utes when wing for­ward Dan Kenny tak­ing a pass from Car­roll to charge in un­der the posts for a try, con­verted by Power.

How­ever the vis­i­tors had re­duced the lead with a penalty from Wakely within a cou­ple of min­utes

Three min­utes later and the Grey­stones lead was in­creased with a penalty from Power to put the score at 10-3.

On 32 min­utes Power once again in­creased his tally with an­other penalty. And the fi­nal score of the half was just on half-time when Wakely added to his three points with an­other penalty to leave the half-time score at 13-3 to Grey­stones.

The sec­ond-half saw the tempo of the game upped with the vis­i­tors be­ing awarded two penal­ties in quick suc­ces­sion but alas for them Wakely was wide on both oc­ca­sions.

Hav­ing weath­ered the early storm Grey­stones scored an­other penalty from Power and then a drop goal two min­utes af­ter that saw them go into a 16-6 lead. High­field’s fi­nal score of the day came from an­other penalty, this time form Colin Ma­honey, who had missed a cou­ple of min­utes ear­lier. Grey­stones had made a num­ber of sub­sti­tu­tions at this time and one of them, wing for­ward Johnny Downey made a fine im­pact with a num­ber of dev­as­tat­ing tack­les and two great runs and was awarded the Man of The Match af­ter­wards.

From there on in, in­spired by their pack and with Power dic­tat­ing the game at No. 10, it was Grey­stones who dom­i­nated and on 72 min­utes with a mar­vel­lous piece of play which saw Power de­liver, first a fine pass to Meyer, and then tak­ing the re­turn, he clev­erly chipped to his left and to­wards the High­field line.

Wing Damian Wildes, one of last sea­sons un­der-20s and full-back Mark Geraghty fol­lowed up and with the vis­i­tors right wing Mau­rice Power un­der pres­sure they forced him into er­ror with Wildes get­ting the touch­down for the try.

From al­most the touch­line, Power de­liv­ered the fi­nal two points to end the scor­ing on the day.

Next week Grey­stones travel North to take on Bal­li­nahinch, who lost their 100 per cent record at the week­end so it prom­ises to be a lively en­counter with ’Stones now only five points off the top.

Grey­stones full-back Mark Geraghty al­most makes the goal line.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.