Youth­ful Ark­low Town claim F.C. Car­low scalp

Bray People - - Bray Sport -

F.C. Car­low 0, Ark­low Town 1: Ark­low Town Youths, pre­dom­i­nantly an U-16 side with only three se­nior play­ers above that age, caused a bit of a stir in Tullow last Satur­day when de­feat­ing the highly ex­pe­ri­enced and some­what fan­cied F.C. Car­low in their keenly con­tested FAI Youth Cup tie.

The young Town side were quickly into their stride with Stephen O’Neill com­ing close twice in the open­ing eight min­utes.

The Car­low ’keeper made a fine save, turn­ing O’Neill’s goal bound ef­fort past the post and that was fol­lowed with a shot hit di­rectly at the ’keeper.

Car­low re­acted by carv­ing an open­ing them­selves four min­utes later, de­nied only by a mag­nif­i­cent dou­ble save from Town’s net­min­der Cor­mac O’Brien. The Ark­low side were dealt a cruel blow in the 20th minute when Aaron Barry was forced off with a sus­pected bro­ken toe, re­placed by Clive Cram­mond.

Town struck what was to be the decisive blow, with half-time ap­proach­ing.

A free-kick, four min­utes from the break, saw in­spi­ra­tional cap­tain James Scallan head­ing home, trig­ger­ing a some­what unique goal cel­e­bra­tion.

Ark­low re­tained the ini­tia­tive in the sec­ond­half, frus­trat­ing the home side who ap­peared un­able to get the bet­ter of Town’s Ir­ish in­ter­na­tional Shane Mur­ray, or­ches­trat­ing mat­ters in mid­field.

How­ever, the Car­low pres­sure in­creased and they laid siege on the Ark­low goal over the clos­ing min­utes.

With Car­low press­ing for a lev­eller, Ark­low once again spurned a glo­ri­ous chance to kill the game, Stephen O’Neill again fail­ing to get the bet­ter of the Car­low ’keeper in a one on one sit­u­a­tion. Danny Led­with was then far­ci­cally yel­low carded af­ter be­ing scythed down in the Car­low area with ten min­utes re­main­ing.

Cru­cially, deep into in­jury-time, Car­low saw their best chance, a header from six yards out, sail over the bar, leav­ing the Ark­low side to en­joy a prized scalp and pas­sage into the last 32 of the FAI Youth Cup.

Keith Arm­strong and Shane Mur­ray both en­joyed su­perb per­for­mances in the Ark­low mid­field while Clive Cram­mond proved his worth when re­plac­ing the in­jured Aaron Barry.

Cor­mac O’Brien proved re­silient in the Ark­low goal when called upon but the real back­bone to the side was pro­vided by the ex­pe­ri­ence of Richie Power, Paul Werder and Stephen O’Neill, who all led the side to a highly dis­ci­plined and sat­is­fac­tory victory.

Ark­low Town's Ir­ish in­ter­na­tional mid­fielder Shane Mur­ray, highly in­flu­en­tial in Town's ex­cel­lent win over F.C. Car­low in the FAI Youth Cup.

Ark­low Town's in­flu­en­tial cap­tain James Scallan, scorer of the winning goal in their im­pres­sive 1-0 FAI Youth Cup victory over F.C. Car­low.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.