Clash Celtic stun Ark­low in thriller


Bray People - - Sport -

Clash Celtic 5, Ark­low Celtic 4: There can be no doubt what­so­ever that this was the big­gest up­set of the week­end and surely the big­gest up­set of the whole com­pe­ti­tion.

Wee Clash Celtic are cur­rently sit­ting on level points with the bot­tom side of the low­est divi­sion in the Wick­low League while high­fly­ing Ark­low Celtic are the clos­est chal­lengers to St. Peter’s Bhoys in the Premier Divi­sion.

This is why the Wick­low Cup is so ex­cit­ing be­cause over 90 min­utes, any­thing can hap­pen and Ark­low Celtic learned this the hard way at Bal­li­na­clash Field on Sun­day.

Clash Celtic’s he­roes on the day that they’ll re­mem­ber for a long time to come were David Carter with a dou­ble and Ger­ard Byrne with two also, while Mark Darcy also chipped in with one.

Ark­low United A 2, Fair­wood Celtic 3: An­other up­set seen at the week­end took place at Fern­dale Park last Sun­day as Divi­sion 3 side Fair­wood Celtic knocked out Divi­sion 1 side Ark­low United A.

Both sides are cur­rently sit­ting third in their re­spec­tive di­vi­sions and Ark­low United will surely be ex­tremely up­set to have ex­ited the con­test at this stage to op­po­si­tion from the third tier.

That’s no dis­re­spect to Fair­wood Celtic though as they are a new side and the Cool­boy out­fit would be a good bet to be play­ing in Divi­sion 2 next year.

Alan McBride gave the hosts the lead early on be­fore David Blake lev­elled mat­ters to leave it all square at the break.

McBride then put his side ahead once more but they were once more pegged back, this time by Tony Darcy, and Darcy then went on to se­cure the win­ner and a big scalp for Celtic.

Ash­ford Rovers 12, En­niskerry YC B 0: Ash­ford Rovers mightn’t be en­joy­ing much suc­cess in the league but last Sun­day they ham­mered an in­cred­i­ble TWELVE goals past En­niskerry, and that was only by half-time.

The vis­i­tors de­cided to save them­selves from fur­ther pu­n­ish­ment and went home at half-time, call­ing a halt to Ash­ford’s shoot­ing prac­tice.

Ash­ford knocked out En­niskerry’s first team in the first round so it was no sur­prise that they beat their sec­ond team, but the mar­gin was still a bit of a shock.

Paul Bur­ton and Joe Byrne both got them­selves into the Christ­mas spirit with hat-tricks, with Danny Byrne con­tin­u­ing his fine scor­ing form with a dou­ble, and Johnny O’Con­nor, Jay Tay­lor, Michael Tay­lor and Lee Fitz­patrick all get­ting in on the act.

St. An­thony’s A 1, Fas­saroe YC 0: The young men of Fas­saroe YC caused a scare or two in Finn Park on Sun­day by push­ing Premier Divi­sion side St. An­thony’s all the way.

The Kil­coole men would have been ex­pect­ing a quite com­fort- able victory over their Divi­sion 2 op­po­si­tion but they only man­aged the one goal through Colm McGovern al­though they’ll hardly be com­plain­ing as they still go through to the next round all the same.

St. Peter’s Bhoys B 4, Rich­mond Rovers 2: St. Peter’s Bhoys sprang a small sur­prise on Sun­day when they sent Premier Divi­sion side Rich­mond Rovers pack­ing.

There was also a lit­tle bit ex­tra at stake in this one as the two Bray sides surely were keen to get one over on each other.

It was the First Divi­sion side though that have brag­ging rights though thanks to goals from Adam Brack (2), Shane Byrne and Gav Har­ris.

Round­wood FC 5, Glen­cor­mac United 3 (AET): They may be one divi­sion be­low them but Sec­ond Divi­sion Round­wood were the side who booked their place in the next round of the Wick­low Cup in a match full of drama.

They over­came their big ri­vals First Divi­sion Glen­cor­mac United, al­though it did take ex­tra-time.

The hosts opened the scor­ing be­fore United’s Dean Byrne equalised be­fore Round­wood scored again to leave it at 2-1 at the break.

Things got even bet­ter for the home side when they went 3-1 up be­fore the Glens staged a come­back with 20 min­utes to go when Mick Rooney and Pádraig Devlin scored to force ex­tra-time.

The vis­i­tors knew they were on their way out early in the sec­ond pe­riod of ex­tra-time though af­ter Round­wood scored two goals in quick suc­ces­sion.

John Sayer (2), Robert Eyre, Luke Fer­gu­son and Thomas Fitz­patrick scored for Round­wood.

Ark­low United B 2, East­coast Al­bion 2 (AET, East­coast won 4-2 on pens): An­other up­set of sorts was wit­nessed at Fern­dale Park on Sun­day in what wasn’t the best day in the of­fice for Ark­low United FC.

Divi­sion 3 side East­coast Al­bion over­came Ark­low United’s sec­ond team with the help of penal­ties to en­sure that they would be in the draw for the next round.

In nor­mal time Richard Con­roy scored twice for the hosts and Michael Menka and Stephen Free notched for the vis­i­tors.

East­coast kept their cool when it came to the penalty shoot-out how­ever and Stephen Free, Fer­gal O’Brien, Glen Carthy and Dave Gil­lick, who got the win­ner, scor­ing their spot-kicks.

Rath­new 7, Red­bank United 0: Red­bank United’s de­fence has been a prob­lem for them all sea­son so one feared they would al­ways strug­gle against Rath­new, and that proved to be the case on Sun­day.

Divi­sion 1 side Rath­new will fancy their chances of go­ing quite far in this con­test and will have sent out a mes­sage to some sides with this con­vinc­ing win.

An­thony Doyle scored a very im­pres­sive five goals, with Kenneth Doyle and Paul Mer­ri­gan also find­ing the net.

War­ren Gorm­ley of Wick­low Town out-jumps Ciarán McGuirl of New­town dur­ing their Wick­low Cup tie.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.