New­town in con­trol

Bray People - - Sport - Daniel GOR­MAN

Wick­low Town A 0, New­town United A 2: Wick­low Town’s Wick­low Cup dream was well and truly ended by Premier Divi­sion ri­vals New­town United last Sun­day.

New­town def­i­nitely de­served the win af­ter dom­i­nat­ing for large pe­ri­ods of the game but Wick­low prob­a­bly should have snatched an equaliser late on be­fore a last minute New­town goal killed off their chal­lenge.

New­town had two chances in the ninth minute, the first af­ter the im­pres­sive Paudie Doyle rounded Wick­low goal­keeper Colm Byrne but he was un­able to find Terry Mur­phy who was six yards out.

Then Byrne dropped a sim­ple ball at Mark Fitzsi­mon’s feet and as the mid­fielder tried to fin­ish he was brought down by Byrne but no penalty was given by the ref­eree who had a clear view of the in­ci­dent.

Dessie Wa­ters then came close for United when he smashed a bounc­ing ball nar­rowly off tar­get on 15 min­utes.

Two min­utes later though they did man­age to find the net. Ciaran McGuirl’s Rory De­lap­like long throw caused panic in Wick­low’s de­fence and Wa­ters got in front of his man to glance the ball into the far cor­ner.

Mid­way through the first-half Wick­low’s lively winger Ai­dan Small had a mo­ment to for­get af­ter he went on a mazy run and got into the penalty area be­fore de­cid­ing to try his hand at a spot of div­ing.

Af­ter watch­ing his laugh­able ef­fort it’d be best if he just stuck to the foot­ball and the num­ber seven was also booked for his trou­bles.

Wick­low’s right back An­thony Do­ran then missed the first of two great chances in the game when he rose at the far post and headed BA Franey’s free-kick over the cross­bar and his dis­ap­point­ment was clear for all to see.

He soon made up for that miss though as just two min­utes later he got back to make a su­perb last-ditch tickle that Jamie Car­ragher would have been proud of and pre­vented his side from go­ing two down.

Franey’s right wing cor­ner-kick then set up Do­ran for an even bet­ter chance a few min­utes later but the Wick­low num­ber two headed over again from just six yards with three min­utes to go in the first-half.

The hosts were for­tu­nate not to go in fur­ther be­hind at the break though af­ter New­town hit the cross­bar two min­utes into in­jury-time from a cor­ner.

United should have notched their sec­ond goal six min­utes af­ter the break with Terry Mur­phy clean through but the striker blasted over well when placed.

The first chance of Wick­low’s sec­ond-half bar­rage on the New­town goal came through for­mer Bray Wan­der­ers man Mau­rice Dunne, when he saw his 25-yard free-kick was blocked away by goal­keeper Paul O’Reirdan.

Next to have a go was Greg Dunne who blasted wide af­ter a scram­ble in the box. Then with 19 min­utes re­main­ing they carved out their best chance of the game af­ter Greg Dunne slipped the ball through for Franey who saw his ef­fort hacked off the line by a vis­it­ing de­fender.

Wick­low’s task was made even harder with ten min­utes to go though af­ter striker Matthew Byrne was sent off for two yel­low cards within a minute of each other and even af­ter he had left the pitch he con­tin­ued to voice his opin­ion of the ref­eree be­fore be­ing re­moved.

With 82 min­utes on the clock the home side should have been level af­ter Mau­rice Dunne bril­liantly con­trolled a long ball for­ward be­fore fir­ing straight at the ‘keeper from close in.

New­town then wrapped up the win when County Wick­low G.A.A. star Dean Od­lum found the net with a neat fin­ish.

Man of the Match: Ciaran McGuirl (New­town United): The mid­fielder put in a good shift and caused night­mares with his throw-ins all game.

Wick­low Town A, who lost out to New­town.

New­town United A, who made it through to the third round.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.